Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Before and After Patio Project

I just titled this post "project" but it doesn't really count as a project in my book because there was no wallpaper to peel, or painting done.  But, I did totally transform a space that will be super fun to use all summer.
And, I can't take all the credit.  Libby was the co-designer for the lighting.  We had so much fun working together.  She also helped me put together the table.
Sarah and Libby get tons of credit for helping me move the benches, chairs and finally the table around from the garage to the back of the house.  It required lots of "REST!" stops on the move, but I was proud of them.  We did some seriously heavy lifting.
I tried to have them take the table around one side of the house where there is only a narrow gate.  Complete bust.  We couldn't make it and we might have scratched the table just a little
Both girls were like, duh mom.  Let's go the other way around.  I had to move the garbage cans so that we could make it, but in the end, THEY WERE SO RIGHT.
Then Libby made us a celebratory toast.  Of actual toast.  And a drink that she "created," water with a touch of lime juice in fancy glasses.  She also laid out meats and cheese for us to eat on the toast.  And some popcorn.  She is so much like me that it is kind of scary.
Project details:  I have been looking for a larger patio table for about 3 years.  I looked at all the places I went, Home Depot, Fred Meyer, Target, even Costco.com.  I didn't see anything I liked that could really seat a lot of people.  Finally I ventured into World Market.  Awesome selection!  Also, this year I realized that we have a 11x13' space that is covered by the second story of our house where we have just been storing our BBQs that is actually a perfect dining spot.
I gave one of the grills that we didn't use to a friend.  Then I moved in our old patio set (Craigslist purchase from years ago) into the space.  LOVED it.
I took Derek to World Market and he approved of the set.
Then I bought it when I found a 25% off coupon.  I brought the whole thing home in my mini-van in just 2 trips.
I found the rug and lights at Target.
See right by the BBQ in the picture below, there is an outlet.  So I figured I could use an extension cord to get the lights where I wanted them to go.
Then, when I was cleaning off a few spider webs, I noticed that there is a light fixture in the top right.  It had one bulb in it.  In the other bulb space, there was AN OUTLET!  I could hang the lights directly where I wanted them, and the will come on with the switch for the outdoor lights.  AWESOME find.
Libby helped me hang the lights.  She did a great job advising me on how to make them look good.
Now, instead of wasted space and an outdoor table that didn't fit our whole family, we are set for outdoor meals for 12 or so!




If you look closely, you can see that the concrete is NOT level, but that is a real project.  For another year.





No comments: