Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 4, 2018

A Long Road Ahead

On February 9th, Derek texted me this picture of his bicep.  This is the aftermath from being injured while wrestling with the son of one of his coworkers.  He said when the injury happened, everyone in the room heard the tearing.  We both kind of hoped that this would just be another "owie."  He went to the doctor after Regionals (several days after the incident), and then another doctor, and then got an MRI.  It turns out that he tore the tendon to his pec out of the bone.  We found out on the last day in Seaside that he needed surgery.  And fast.
After his pre-op on Monday, we both felt like we'd been hit by a ton of bricks.  This was a pretty big deal.  4 weeks in a sling with no driving.  Then 6-8 months before he can go back to his normal work as a police officer.  THIS IS BIG.  He is about to miss the most important 6-8 months of overtime of the year.  He will get a "light duty" job on the department.  He does have 4 weeks of saved up sick time.  But wow.  This is potentially devastating.
But, we actually couldn't feel more blessed.  We felt like my opportunity to go back to work was going to put us way ahead.  We could finally do all the home projects we have been dying to do.  But now, my income will save us.  We won't have to dip into savings.  He can heal and get back to health while I work.
The surgery was on Friday.  He is doing as well as could be...on pain meds for now.
The thing I am reflecting on this morning is how blessed I am to have such an amazing husband.  There isn't anything I have needed moved in our marriage that he hasn't been able to move (sometimes with a little help).  He cooks, shops, puts his laundry away, makes the bed.  He is the driver when we go places.  He works long and hard for our family.  And, for a little while he won't be able to do any of those things.  This has encouraged me to reflect on what I love about him.  I couldn't be there for the surgery (I was running a Wrestling Rhino banquet), but nothing made me happier than to hear his voice when he came in the door.  These months may get long for both of us, but right now I am filled with gratitude for my husband.

 He is an amazing husband, father and friend.  He and his squad were also awarded Officer of the Month this week for the incident on Martin Luther King Day.  I am one lucky lady.
Prayers for quick and seamless healing appreciated.
He did make it to the choir concert yesterday! 

No comments: