Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Summer Fun!

This week was crazy hectic and fun.  We ate several meals in the car on the go from place to place.  Here is the week in photos. 
Ann played Dorothy (or Dor'thy) in a special needs version of the Wizard of Oz.  It was so much more fun and witty and amazing than I expected.  So proud of her!  She was great! 

Afterward, we took the exchange students for an Everett tradition--Ray's!  Yummy shakes and fries and they helped Ben eat his chicken strips that he talked Maren into ordering for him. 

The last day of Gators practice was Thursday.  I am going to miss it!  The kids are going to miss it (except for the 8 am wake up).  Gators has made our summer really rich. 

I wanted a pic of Ben for his coach.  His coach told me that all the lifeguards think Ben is cute.  I tend to agree! 

On Friday, after an afternoon of swimming, the kids went to the Taste of Edmonds with Maren.  On the way they stopped to pick up Grammy and see Grandpa's new train table.  

At the Taste, where Maren bought them anything and everything their hearts desired (basically).  I came down later when the exchange students got home.  The kids and students and even Grammy rode the big slide!  The exchange students were very impressed with the giant bag of Kettle Corn I bought.  

After the Taste, roasting marshmallows at Maren's.   


On Saturday, dancing at the Taste of Edmonds.  Notice the clouds!  Our first rainy day in forever.  But it held off during their dances.

Grammy came to watch! 

We grabbed Ivars on our way out of Edmonds, then drove to the Champs Swim Meet in Snohomish.  I only registered Ben because Derek was going to take him while the girls danced.  In the end (after Derek worked a triple--yes, he's back at work), I took Ben after the dancing.  Libby, Sarah, Takahiro and Shunya swam in the rec pool while Ben did the swim meet.  He wasn't very happy about this, but he competed anyway.  The Champs meet is way more intense than the dual meets we've been having.  I think it motivated Ben to work hard in the off season.
 On Thursday I bought the kids into my classroom.  Libby and Sarah put the desks and chairs in place.  We made the door sign (Ben did the mod podge on the path on the door and the girls helped with the parts of the castle).  I still need to add the border (which I bought during the girls' pickup rehearsal on Saturday). 
This is my brother's work motto.  I loved it so much I asked if I could use it for my classroom.  It should also be the motto when teachers get together! 

It is hard to see this summer coming to an end.  I have loved it so much that I am mourning its passing, even when I have just over a week left.  I got to spend so much quality time with  my family, it was amazing!  And I did so much reading about being a better teacher that I frankly feel kind of daunted about going back!  (Plus I still don't know if I will have a split or a straight 5th.)  Hopefully I'll find out this week.

No comments: