Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, April 14, 2024

5th Grade Camp!

 This year we moved 5th grade camp to Camp Colman, a YMCA camp.  It was such a beautiful location.  Wow.  To make the switch, we ended up going to camp MUCH earlier than the last 2 years, when we went in June.  I was so worried about cold and rain.  But it was actually really nice.  It was cold (for sure) but it wasn't raining.  We even had some sun and a few times I took my coat and hat off!  

Last year Libby was in a really really bad place and couldn't be a counselor for us.  But this year, she and a bunch of her friends were counselors, and it was GREAT! We didn't have to send any kids home, no one got poked in the eye with a stick (despite the hundreds being picked up), we got a super low tide for beach walking, and except for some bus snafus, everything ran according to plan.  Of course there are things I'd do differently, but overall, it was great!  I invented a clean cabin competition that got pretty fiercely competitive.  Wow.  I'll need a better plan on that one for sure. Haha. 

I love that the Shoreline School District busses put FUN out when they are taking us on Field Trips.  Our first bus snafu was that they only sent us 2 busses instead of 3.  After standing around for about an hour while they tried to figure it out, we finally had a 3rd bus and got underway.  BUT--that means we arrived at camp just as the busses taking kids home arrived, AND the other school also arrived late.  So we got an extra hour of sitting on the bus waiting just outside of camp since we were the last to arrive.  Everyone stayed in good spirits, and miraculously, no one wet themselves. 

Libby and her counselor team. 


The teacher team.  We had a really good time. 

Me on the beach.  It really was warm enough not to have coats for a bit. 

They found an octupus, which the staff said they'd never seen before.  (I do think we had a pretty inexperienced staff--but still--it was cool!) 

The dream team

Libby rocked out the climbing wall. 

Me--in my awesome get up.  Fanny pack, head lamp, hot hands, I was ready. 
We did SO much walking--and it was super hilly.  I got over 25,000 steps both days.  It was awesome (and helped keep me warm.) 

The busses were late to take us home too.  But we made it without too much standing around.  

No comments: