Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, October 4, 2026

Mimi & Papa Visit Sept 2026

 I didn't get enough Randall time this summer.  I spent the first week of summer (which was actually my last week of school) in Utah at the WIFYR conference with my mom.  It was so fun.  But then I never went back to Utah, never got to hang out with them again.  I got the great idea to have them come visit us here during the fall sports season. They've never seen Ben play football or seen Sarah swim or dive.  

I hunted down a week where Sarah could swim and dive at the same meet AND Ben had a JV game (since he doesn't really get varsity playing time this year).  (Sarah can only dive at about 1/2 of their meets because not all of the pools have dive tanks.  For those meets they dive the day before at practice.) Anyway, we found the perfect week.  Ben had a JV game on Monday, Sarah had a swim/dive meet at Kamiak on Tuesday.  We had a mostly free Saturday and Sunday to spend time together.  Perfect.

Well, it never turns out quite as expected.  I was just getting over a cold and Ben came down with something serious while they were here.  He sequestered to his room, but had fever, body aches, even some vomiting.  Poor guy.  So he wasn't really up to playing football, which was good.  Because his game was cancelled.  Shorecrest couldn't field a JV team.  

Sarah did get to swim and dive.  It was really fun to watch her do a great job.  (She felt like she could have done better, but still--she hit all 6 dives.) 

We ate all the Seattle mandatory foods (teryaki, Ivars) and they did a downtown tour with Derek on Monday while I was at school.  They got piroshki from Piroshki Piroshki.  SO SO good. We went to the Ballard locks to see the salmon running.  Unfortunately a sea lion was blocking the locks, so we saw them running from the sea lion instead of going through the locks.  

We also completed a fun puzzle.  I seriously have the BEST parents.  It was hard to see them go. 

Sarah with Coach Keela (wearing the shirt we made her last year!) 

Finished puzzle!  They worked on it a lot while I was at school and my long range facility planning meeting.  


It is hard to get good pics of dives!

Ivars

My mom won the Scrabble game. 

Derek was not happy about the Scrabble loss. 

Beautiful day at the Ballard locks


  

No comments: