Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Busy Busy and a Pain in the Neck

I have the most annoying weak sauce neck.  It got all out of whack the night that we made a big push to get the laundry room/mud room up and running for the first day of school.  It took a few days and a few trips to the chiropractor before I could turn my head to the right and sleep comfortably.  Then, I went to the Husky game. We sit down toward the end zone, so I spent the whole game looking left (while trying to keep my hips neutral center).  Sunday morning my neck hurt a little and by Monday morning I was in AGONY.  Couldn't turn my head left.  Even to walk hurt.  Sleeping was h-e-double hockey sticks.  The knot at the base of my neck was so intense that Mon and Tues trips to the Chiro still didn't help resolve the pain.  I scheduled a massage for Friday, but knew I needed to do something to help myself on Thursday or I would go insane.  So I went to the spa.  Soaking in the pools and relaxing in the heated rooms was so meditative and amazing.  My neck started loosening up right away.  I made it through the day and got a good adjustment and massage on Friday.  Yesterday I angered it again a little working on a project for Leanne's wedding, but I got good sleep the last two nights and I'm feeling much better.  And more hopeful.  About everything, including my hip.  My doctor wasn't concerned that I still have some pain.  He said my range of motion is good.  I'm going to heal.  His hope gives me hope.  This too shall pass!  He said I could start foam rolling again, which I think was really good for my neck too.  Hooray.

So amid the neck pain we were trying to get into a routine with school.  I was also trying to get used to a rental car while my van gets repaired after its little incident with Derek's truck.  (Seriously, you don't realize how used to your car you get until you have to deal with things like car seats not fitting, one kid having to get into the 3rd row seating through the back, no automatic doors, none of your kids' favorite CDs, and worst of all, no automatic climate control.  How did I ever live without that.)

Our after school schedule is looking like this:  Monday, gymnasitcs.  Tuesday, nothing, Wednesday, Sarah dance (and soon Libby drama), Thursday, Piano, Friday, tutoring.  Sarah tried out for the Nutcracker yesterday, so she will soon start Saturday rehearsals.  I'm so happy to have my kids involved in lots of thing.  And so tired from managing it all--and I realized this is just the beginning.

I remember well when I almost punched many a woman who stopped me in the grocery store when I was trying to handle 2 or 3 little squirmy kids to say, "Oh honey, it only gets harder."  I'm sure they could see the disbelief in my eyes.  Now, I see what they were getting at.
Right after school started there was finally a Mariners game that Jen and I could go to and surprise Derek.  It was so fun!  

Not everyone gets to go on a date to see their husband where he is getting paid to work :)

One of the things that dominates most of our mornings is getting Libby out of bed.  She takes melatonin at night or else she can't get to sleep.  But then she doesn't want to get up!  She takes after her daddy and her aunt Rachel.  And, lately, her mom is a bit like this too! 

Curriculum night was--frustrating as usual.  Because they run all the K-3 at the same time.  So we had to split up.  So I didn't get a good feel for what is going on in Libby's classroom.  But Sarah's is going to be great.  (Libby did get the same teacher she had for 1st grade, so we do know her.  And she is already working on helping Libby focus.  She puts a timer on Libby's desk when she should be working and there is a reward at the end of each day when Libby stays on task.  So far so good!)

The laundry room flooring isn't in yet (not until Oct. 5th or 6th probably), but I have already shifted gears into wedding DECOR!  Leanne and Josh are getting married here in just a few short weeks.  I am pretty excited about the decor ideas that I have going.  

This is Ben's buddy Oliver.  They are having a playdate every Tues and Thurs after preschool.  One day at Oliver's and one day here.  That way I get one whole kid free day!

Libby finally realized she can piggy back BEN!  This is the outfit, btw, that she wanted to wear on picture day.  I made her wear something nicer, so she made sure to wear this the very next day.  Clash, what?

Our piano teacher has a full on band set up in her basement.  Ben rocked the drums after lessons on Thursday.  

No comments: