Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, October 2, 2016

A New Mantra

I am obsessed with Gretchen Rubin.  Over the summer I listened to her book Better than Before, which is about how we make habits.  I LOVED it.  And I have also been listening to her podcast, Happier.  (I guess Podcasts have "" around them?  Help me out Grammarian friends.)  Anyway, since I now have a lot more time alone, I also just finished listening to her book Happier At Home.  SO SO SO good.  And thought provoking.  The takeaway that has become my new mantra:  Under-react to a problem.
And, I have had a chance to put this to the test!
It is amazing.  My kids are shocked at how cool I am when bad stuff happens.  Seriously.  I just tell myself, under-react.  Is it really that big of a deal?
So here are some of the things I have under-reacted to in the past few days.
Libby broke my favorite cup.  No big deal.  Just threw it away.
We switched to Century Link.  Had a few internet connectivity and TV connectivity problems.  No big deal.
I went to cook dinner on the BBQ.  Out of propane.  No big deal.  Fry those burgers!
The pre-sliced cheese I just bought for aforementioned burgers is moldy?  Get out the slicer.  I'm not quite out of the block of cheddar.  
I drove to a store I wanted to shop at, forgot my purse at home.  Oh well, I'll go back later.
Can't get the pilot light to the stove working in our sunroom (which is not connected to the furnace and is our TV room).  Oh well, watched conference with a blanket and space heater.
I hung up one strand of new lights LED lights from Costco in my living room.  They looked awesome.  Got the other one out to hang.  Didn't work.  No big deal, I'm sure I need to go to Costco on Monday anyway, right?
The kids begged for Ravioli and it turns out they don't like it?  Make them eat a little and toss the rest.  No big deal.
Saturday schedule is store,dance, gymnastics, dance, dance parent meeting, soccer, and catch up on conference that you missed all day?  Cool under pressure.
And I can't even count the number of mini milk spills that happen around here.
It is kind of ridiculous when I look at this list of things that might have had me hollering, cursing under my breath, or getting my blood boiling.
I can't really believe that it is working.  But I just look at the broken cup on the ground and think, "under-react." And I do.  Just let it go.
My kids can't really believe it.  They keep waiting for me to be upset.  And I'm sure I will be.  Over something.  But so far it just feels really good to be chill.
I'm saving my emotional energy for the real stuff?

No comments: