Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Our First Wrestling Outing!

When we started the Meridian Park branch of the Wrestling Rhinos, and I became a coach, I was actually really nervous about this moment.  The moment they would step out on the mat for some live wrestling.  But, when it happened, it was actually really fun.  They (we all) still have a lot to learn.  But I'm pleased with how well they did!
In this pic you can see both Libby and Ben wrestling girls who I think are sisters.  Libby took this girl down pretty well, well enough that she cried.  Then later they wrestled in my corner of the mat and the girl said she was afraid of Libby.  Ha.  


The boy Libby is wrestling in this picture is the son of the bishop of the ward next door.  He has 1 year more wrestling experience.  He was the takedown king for more than 1/2 the line!  But she almost took him down!!


I was really proud of Sarah's wrestling.  She moves slowly and thinks through what she knows and what she should do.  This doesn't always translate to victory on the mat, but she knew a thing or two.  I clearly saw her sprawl, which is one thing that I didn't see the others do as well.  She got back to her base and got back to her feet whenever she could!

She had to wrestle mostly boys, but she kept trying even when they got the best of her!




Ben was really nervous about wrestling.  He kept saying he was going to "get squashed like a bug."  I didn't get to see many of his matches because he kept ending up on the opposite corner from where I was.  I tried to film this one.  I forgot that my phone was on photo.  By the time I switched it to video, it was basically all over.  He ended up crying after his face bonked the mat.  But not for long.  I made him shake hands anyway.  He said that he wasn't ready when the guy started wrestling.  All day people kept asking him how he did.  He had varied responses.  He told several people that he "squashed 2 people like bugs, but then got squashed like a bug."  He told others that he only got squashed.  And some that he was amazing.  (By the way he spent most of the hours at the Shoreline Invitational tournament that we went to after our match entertaining the cheerleaders from SW.  He sat with them and told them stories, played on their phones, etc.  It was pretty comical. Maybe he will be more of a lover than a fighter?)
Picture that was meant to be video.

 


GO RHINOS!

No comments: