Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Mrs. Norton is BACK!

I am a teacher again.  And I love it.  And I am exhausted.  Like need to go to bed at 8 pm or earlier exhausted.  But I love it.  And, I am a better teacher than I was before in so many ways because I took a break and had kids.  Now I know what it is like to be on the parent end of things.  And I understand the student perspective better too.  And I really do believe in the "Growth Mindset," that if students believe that they can, then they can!  
And I am full of questions!  Teaching elementary school is a whole different ball of wax than teaching high school!  Thank goodness our district has an "Instructional Coach."  I am bombarding her with questions about how to do all sorts of things.  This week I have to figure out how to do an elementary school gradebook.  I am in love with Google classroom and having a Chromebook for each student.  The possibilities are endless!
But don't worry, my former students will be happy to know that I have figured out how to make elementary school rubrics.  I have already given out at least 10 in the 8 days of teaching.
Their first debate is coming up this week (prep for the debate actually).  Debate in the week after.
The ideas are flowing.  I have 10 years of creative teaching pent up inside me.  I am trying not to be too overwhelming. 
I stopped my principal in the hall right before curriculum night and gave him a barrage of questions about the testing in the spring.  Like: "When will I see my students' scores from last year?"
"When is my training to start preparing them for this year?"
"How can we start working on the skills they need?"
He smiled and said, "this is why I hired you.  But you need to give me a little time."
HA!

So the question is, will my household keep functioning when I am not home to shop, cook, do laundry etc.
I am still working on this.  Here are the developments thus far:
Last Saturday I made a meal plan and shopped so we had meals for the week.  It worked out well.  Yesterday I ran out of time to do this.  So we will eat the random assortment of stuff that Derek bought for the party that we had on Friday that only 2 people came to so we have lots of leftovers.
(In my defense we were getting a new fridge on Thursday, so I couldn't buy too much last week).
For years I have done laundry 2x a week.  This started because of the septic tank in our old house, you had to spread it out.  This week I did all the laundry on Saturday and it worked out.  No one ran out of clothes.  

BUT, back to getting the new fridge on Thursday, Derek had  to take the day off from work because I couldn't be home to receive the fridge or let in the window cleaners. So that is the kind of problem we will run into.  He didn't mind in the least because he has worked so much this summer.  But this is an adjustment!

The kids also started their extra-curricular activities this week.
A sign that I am busy.  No pictures.  
So picture in your mind:  Libby back at the dance studio taking Jazz 1/2 and Acrobatics for Dancers.
Sarah taking Ballet 1/2 and Jazz 1/2.
Libby and Sarah starting to sing with Seattle Children's Chorus.
And Ben starting piano for the first time!
I also started my dance class (actually last week).  
Not a single photo.

Also, Derek was home after school every day this week so he came and took the kids home so I could work for a bit on Wed, Thurs & Fri.  Next week I am not as lucky, he has Mariners every day.  So it will be more of a dose of real life.  (And I'm subbing a Bodypump class on Thursday morning too!)

But here is the weird part.  I am parenting better.  I am putting on my teacher cap and looking at interactions with my kids as teaching moments.   I am more rational and less emotional.  So far.
I feel the Lord watching out for our family in this time of transition.
And did I mention that I love teaching?
I got teary during the Assembly singing the school song, saying the Pledge of Allegiance.  I really just love being back in school.
And it's still exhausting.   

Here are some pics of my classroom.  








No comments: