Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Happy & Not So Happy Halloween

Halloween was a pretty fun day at school.  I had my students do a book project that culminated on Halloween.  They read a sci-fi or fantasy book.  Then they created a travel guide to the world of the book they read.  So we had a "Galactic Travel Day" instead of a Halloween party.  I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with a way to spend the day having academic fun.  And my students really enjoyed it too!  We invited other classes to come travel in our room.  We wrapped up the day with a couple of games.

This is when the not so happy part happened.  Libby's music teacher came to my room after school to let me know that 8 weeks into school, Libby still hasn't brought in her recorder.  AND, the music teacher had given Libby 2 notes to bring home as a reminder.  The second note, the teacher had learned, Libby had stuffed down the storm drain.  BAM!  So I wasn't prepared for how much worse I would feel when I am teacher in the school and my child is causing problems.  So, Libby got to go to choir, and the traditional dinner at Spiros.  Then she stayed home while her siblings trick-or-treated.  She wailed.  And complained.  And argued.  But seriously.  Not bringing your recorder for 8 weeks (they have music 2x a week and she is only there for one day right now because she has vision therapy on the other day, so it isn't as bad as it sounds in some ways) seriously.  She delivered her recorder to the teacher's box the next day.  The apology note is still in her backpack.  Ugh.  (Libby had another meltdown the next day when the class moved desks and she is not longer by her friend. Broke several pencils during that one.  We are closely monitoring eating and sleeping this week and taking her to the doctor on Friday to have her checked out...)  

But we did get a picture of the whole crew at Spiros.  I am glad Halloween is over!  (It was also the week I had my first official observation and a bunch of stuff for student council.  A cold that I have been running from has finally caught me!)

I taught at a Halloween themed Bodypump launch on Saturday too!  Very fun! Then I subbed on Halloween morning after getting a text at 4:40 am that the 6 am teacher was sick.  Maybe partly why I was so tired this week! 

The family of great leaders! 

The silly family of great leaders. 

Cleopatra trying to figure out a selfie with the family! 

The whole crew at Spiros. 

No comments: