Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Christmas Eve 2017

This year Christmas Eve was the first party at our house (as opposed to party number 4 like the last couple of years).  That was a nice change.  We played 2 new games from a pack I found at Target.  "Hum that Tune" and "Christmas Trivia."  They were a hit.  We enjoyed the traditional clam chowder and veggies with donuts and hot chocolate for dessert.   We were a much smaller crowd than we have been, but there was still plenty of holiday frivolity. 
We called my dad at the end of the program so we could have a FaceTime "The Night Before Christmas."  It was a nice wrap up for the program.  

Maren forgot the olives for the veggie tray.  So Libby opened 2 cans and dumped them on.  I got a picture as fast as I could, but the kids had already swooped in and eaten most of them. 


The candy cane ring toss was quite popular again.  I told them they could go again to trade for a different candy cane.  Ann played many times until she got the candy she wanted.  


Remember the first year I hosted Christmas Eve and I got all new fancy dishes?  Yeah, no more of that!  Paper all the way.  Made clean up much better! 

Ben played Jolly Old St. Nick--he did a great job.  He sang it so nicely for practicing, but wouldn't sing for any of his performances. 

The girls wanted to sing "O Come All Ye Faithful" in Latin (they learned this with their choir).  They did a nice job.  I'm so glad they are in choir!

Ben wanted to be Joseph.  He chose Libby for his Mary.  They were so cute and funny.  


Sheep and Shepherds.  Note to self: next year Maren is not a sheep.  This is like 4 years in a row.  


The whole cast.  Almost everyone played multiple roles, since we also had the bell choir going during the nativity.  Another note to self, that didn't' work out too well.  
I feel so blessed to be a Norton.  What a great bunch!
The evening ended with Grammy pulling out her gifts to the grandkids...pajamas.  But wait...she forgot our kids PJs?  Guess they have to go with Grammy to her house to get their PJs (again).  This happens every year that Derek has to work on Christmas Day.  Libby and Sarah have noticed this pattern.  I'm not sure that Ben has picked up on it yet.  That's when our Christmas Eve really starts out...
They went to get their pajamas and Santa came while they were gone! 

We spent the whole month preparing them that they weren't going to get much.  It looks very sparse compared to earlier years.  But it felt so good not to have too much new STUFF around.
This is Ben and Dad's new lego set from Santa.  The Batcave! 

Libby and Sarah both got bath fizzies and new bathrobes.  Ben and Sarah needed new headphones, so they both got those.  Libby just recently got headhphones, so she got a box of candy canes.  She said very matter of factly, "I noticed that Ben and Sarah got new headphones and I didn't.  I know why."  


They also got a new (used) wrestling mat.  We hadn't opened it before hand.  It was super dirty.  But we got it cleaned up just in the nick of time.  On the mat was a tiny gift leading to a scavenger hunt.  Santa's elves had wrapped and hidden 5 big luggage tags that led them around the house and to the sunroom to unwrap two gifts that revealed where we would be going on a trip for mid-winter break.  Seaside OR!  With Mimi and Papa.  This was actually not a surprise because Grandpa Brion didn't know it was a surprise and was asking/telling Libby about it last week.  But it was still fun and a tradition I'd like to keep up.  The gifts they unwrapped to reveal the location were a Seaside puzzle and Seaside visitors guides.  I put together the puzzle while Derek and Ben built the Lego Batcave and we watched all 3 Santa Clause movies over the next few days.  It was a great puzzle.  And the kids all loved the Santa Clause(s).  (I came in and out, but the movies all seemed really fun!)

Opening the "Seaside" gifts. 
 Santa's other big gift was delivered a few days earlier, a new reclining couch for the sunroom.  It has turned into a redecorating the Sunroom project that is eclipsing the redorcrating the family room project and is making me crazy.  I keep telling myself it is fun and I should enjoy the journey.  But I'm not sure I have time to enjoy the journey right now.
This is the back of the new couch.  See all those chords?  Well you will see a photo in the weeks to come of the project to hide that :)  I sent this to my designer so she could help me figure out what to do to hide it.  I didn't look at the back of the couch when I bought it.  Ugh.

No comments: