Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, September 15, 2024

Trish's Projects

I haven't had a good home project in awhile.  Except for organizing.  And I actually did like it that way.  I was bummed/not bummed when I found out the retro check wouldn't come until after I started school.  I'd just have to squirrel it away and wait for next summer.  But of course, I'm not that patient.  And I've been waiting YEARS for some of these projects.  
Project 1: New carpet on the stairs and upstairs hallways (and Ben's bedroom).  This carpet came with the house.  And it wasn't new when we moved in.  It was already quite old and a bit stained.  And we've worn it down even more...even if it was amazing carpet and cleaned up nicely. But this project led to several sub projects that have kept my chiropractor in business over the last few weeks as I've been weekend warrioring.  

Sub project 1: First up I painted the upstairs halls with the kids' help because I didn't want to keep the color of the accent wall with the new carpet. This led to painting all of the halls upstairs.  Because.  EW. Gross.  I haven't been looking closely, but it was nasty up there.  Sarah and Ben and Ben's friend Story helped with this, and that was amazing.  It's great to have kids old enough to help. 

Sub project 2: I started looking at the sides of the stairs.  They were VERY dinged up and in need of some love.  What better time to do that than when the carpet is going to be replace.  And conveniently Libby's friend Ben was in need a side job to pay off a minor (ok major) speeding ticket.  I told myself Ben would do the heavy lifting.  Until he couldn't come over yesterday and I ended up with the sander in hand.  Again I told myself, just during the commercials of the Apple cup!  Until it was over (very awful game) and I just went after the sanding.  Thank you Salon Pas patches for keeping me functional today.  
Sub Project 3: Purchasing carpet.  We picked out some good samples yesterday (and I do mean good--Derek wants really high quality carpet.). My friend Jenn is going to help me pick the color.  It may be ready to install before our houseguests come for Maren's wedding.  We'll see.

Sub Project 4: Refinishing the handrail?  No--I'll let my contractor do that when he comes to do the bathroom...right? 

Sub Project 5: This week (mostly Saturday) I'll patch and paint in all my spare time, and get the carpet actually ordered. 


Almost ready to paint.  Just need to fill some holes and dings. 


We've got the samples. 

A little extra time at Home Depot and looked at tile...I think I'm going with a Herringbone in the kid bathroom.  Why not? 

You would not believe how many staples were in these stairs.  That carpet was NEVER going to budge.  Also, notice one cracked stair.  Ugh. 


Anyway, chaos abounds around here.  
 

No comments: