Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Friday, December 30, 2016

Christmas Traditions: Gingerbread Houses

When I look through the pictures from this Christmas, I get kind of overwhelmed.  So much happens in just a few days.  And during those days I usually miss a week or two of posting.  Then I am forced to sum up.  This year I will sum up in posts about our traditions, new and old.  
We made "Gingerbread" houses in the Randall tradition, they are made with graham crackers.  I have found that the little gingerbread village kits are my new favorites.  They are small (so easy to cover and keep together) and they come withe the icing and some candies.  I found them again this year and we got to make them with cousins Mariah and Ann.  This was actually a brutal thing to do this year because I made the decision to avoid all candy and sweets for the month (except Christmas Eve, Day and New Year's Eve).  We had literally 9 nights in a row where we were at events with sweets and I easily passed them all up.  But making the houses without tasting the fare was painful!  Decorating with candy is so much cheaper than decorating in real life.  I just love it.  More than anyone else as you can see from the pictures.   

My Red and White Winter Wonderland.  Sarah had me add a touch of green.  I think it works.  

Libby added Cinderella to the front of her house. 

Our cousin Marah made a chocolate roofed A frame.  

Ben got into the swedish fish.  They are on the roof and on the ground.  

Ann also loved the fish.  Hers is pretty well decorated!

Sarah's has a starburst chimney and a couple of cute areas outdoors.  No other candy made it onto the actual house...(This is a sweet picture of her.  I love it).  

And then we had stuffed peppers, Christmas Edition for dinner.  Yum!

No comments: