Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Another week in Captivity

Okay, so it isn't captivity.  And anyone who has actually been captured in any way would justifiably feel unhappy with the comparison.  But it is hard to feel so limited.
This week we had some rough moments and some bright spots.
It is hard to do schooling online, both for the teacher and the students.  As I look through the photos on my phone for the week, there are several where I took a screen shot of the ridiculuous things my students are asking/saying in google classroom.
Ben had so much work this week he felt overwhelmed to shutdown several times.  Libby--well, not sure how much she accomplished squirreled away with a laptop.
It was also hard because "recess" with the Hardies is on hold for awhile.  Not having that release time with friends every day mid-day took away some life motivation from all 3 kids.

But bright spots included doing a zoom debate with my classes.  It actually worked out really well!  We had about 30 students in one debate and about 17 in the other.  I had them change their name to the debate stance they were taking (it was about which event leading up to the American Revolution do you think was THE event that really led to war.). We had a great discussion (especially in the first group)!  Their analytical minds were at work!  Many students had done the reading.   And we could do a poll for the before and after votes.  That was cool!  They could get instant feedback.
I highly recommend that.
The interesting thing is that the results were different in the two classes.  The other class was more in favor of the Boston Tea Party being the key event.
   The other awesome school moment was our zoom meeting with author Degan Randall, aka Debbi Randall.  I was reading aloud to them her (as of yet unpublished) book Darkspark.  I continued reading chapters after the closure and posting them.  The kids submitted questions and gave feedback through a google form.  Then she joined our zoom meeting and answered questions and talked to them about her writing process.  It was really cool!  They are super excited to try designing a cover for the book.
I got a new stand up/sit down desk top.  I'm not sure how standing will feel for my hip, but I need options!  

Sarah enjoyed her school week, and got inspired to make Johnny cakes.  We had them for dinner on Friday.  While they did not get rave reviews (think dry dense cornbread cakes), it was fun to try it.  Sarah is also reading Pride and Prejudice.  She said she really "has to focus" when she reads it.  It's fun to have her reading something that challenges her.

On Thursday evening we had a good time creating a Backwards Day video.

Ben was studying gravity.  We flew some paper airplanes together. (It's backwards day--hence Ben having his shirt on backward.). I downloaded an app that can reverse video.  It was a fun challenge.

On Friday afternoon I also took Ben outside for some water balloon fun because his sisters wouldn't budge from their respective couches.  See, I'm trying to be a "fun mom."

Saturday morning I went running with a friend again.  That was amazing except that I felt SO out of shape.  Ugh.  The meds do not appear to be helping my energy balance.  But a chance to chat with a friend in person was awesome.  Then later we had the best surprise.  Erin decided to bring Jed and Rory to Maren's with their new dog Spaghetti.  A chance to see friends lightened the mood for everyone.  The kids spent most of the day with them.  I gave Jed a much needed haircut to fix the chop Maren did on his bangs.  I also went to Target (in a mask), put new strings on my guitar and enjoyed some time to self!

Spaghetti loved Ben! 

This was Libby's Easter gift to me--then I gave Ben & Sarah pedi's too.  The water is a gold bath bomb Libby got for her birthday.  It was beautiful.  But in the pictures looks a little dicey.  

We came home in the evening and did pedicures and watched Support your Local Sheriff.  It was a great evening. 

This week we also met with Libby's eating disorder therapist.  (Have I mentioned we are doing this?  Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder...). Anyway, we have a plan to help her do a better job of eating.  And we feel good about the plan and it's execution so far.
There really was so much good in this week!  I am helping to get our neighborhood pool ready to open once we hit Phase 2 (hopefully June 1). 
Onward and upward!



No comments: