Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, May 31, 2020

School Life


Well, school has been consuming my life...so busy.  I am trying to quickly finish up all my curriculum and get assignments ready to post so that I can handle all the award stuff that happens at the end of the year.  I am in charge of student council awards and the overall school awards.  We are going to have an online Zoom "Moving On" ceremony that we need to plan too.  This week I lost my mind in a staff meeting because our principal said they were going to collect the chromebooks back from kids before the end of the year...We had already announced our Moving On date, and it was after the collection date.  We can't have any school after the collection date.  Too many kids won't have devices! Anyway--they moved their collection to the afternoon after our Moving On Ceremony.  So June 18th at 2 pm I'll be done.  
We have learned so much about online schooling around here!  
I am learning so much about google classroom--what works well and what doesn't (although it will still take lots of experimenting to get it right).  How to get kids to see comments and make changes when they don't have email alerts (aka, email parents and tell kids to look at comments--not efficient, but it does get the job done). How to set up rubrics that are useful in google classroom (I must have a rubric...)  How to play fun games in zoom at class meeting...so much.
My kids are also learning--how to get work done in record time so they can get outside for recess.  My favorite Ben lesson this week was when he was super stressed about how long his assignment would be because it had 5 slash 26 parts.  (Which I had to point out was actually the date--5/26). 
I'm not sure that Libby did any work this week.  And...that is partly on me.  I didn't sit down with her even one time.  My bad.
Since I last blogged we had 2 virtual spirit days.  The Bad Bad Hair day got a really good response.  Bad hair is the norm right now here--salons are still closed.  
My hair--mid blow dry.  It's getting long and the roots are so long! 

Sarah's hair "wigged out"
Ben didn't want to do a Bad Hair photo, but here is a "Ben in a Zoom Meeting" photo.  (This is during our biweekly afternoon at Maren's so our house cleaner can clean.)



Decades Day! She looks so regal! 

Decades Day (he's been wearing this jacket for Decades Day for 3 years now)

My contribution to Decades Day 

Ben's Science Project last week was an Egg Exploration.  This week he did something with Bridges.  Derek helped him, so I didn't get any pictures. 

Student Council--we filmed a spirit video.  And we had to film it twice because the first time it didn't film right.  Ugh.  I was so mad! Then after it went live, I found some more of the footage and thought of a better introduction.  So the final/best version will probably be seen by almost no one. 
But you can watch it HERE. It's the last video on the page. 




No comments: