Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Disappointment during a Pandemic

This has been an especially hard time for Libby.  She struggles to be motivated to do her school work---even when she is in school.  At home, online learning has been miserable.  When she found out she had been recommended to serve as a WEB leader (they are like a welcoming committee for the incoming students and they get to have their tutorial class together), she was SO excited.  She worked hard on her application.  She had Maren and I read over it.
She found out yesterday that she was not selected.  Out of 111 candidates they took 74. She was not among the 74. They put out a letter for those who weren't accepted.  "We need diversity, we need equal representation from the elementary schools.  We looked at grades.  We looked at teacher recommendations."  I understand.  I have to do this for student council too.  But to see your child HOWL in misery because something they wanted they didn't get.  How to explain?  To explain that a little more work on school work...a little less conflict with her math teacher.  A little more consistency on homework...(and if they looked at online learning participation...she definitely wasn't a good candidate.)
I had several disappointments like this when I was  young (and also recently, when I wasn't hired to teach at the very school that also turned her down for WEB leader).   It's actually ok.  A good learning experience.  But it's hard for my mommy heart to take. 
I gave her a pedicure and let her cry and rant. 
I put out a request on FB for thoughts and compliments to share with Libby to help lift her up. 
So many sweet words poured in.  So many she couldn't take them all in in one sitting. 
Our stake YW president showed up with bread, bread she had been inspired to make the day before for our family.  She gave Libby a much needed hug.
I know that life for us isn't hard--not in the way that life is hard for so many others.  
But yesterday felt hard.  I know that's part of the journey.  I'm thankful for the outpouring of love that was salve for my mother heart and for Libby. 



No comments: