Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, May 4, 2014

An Herb Garden

I also feel I should comment on her outfit.  All of spring break she planned that she would wear all black on her first day back. She would wear her black leotard since she didn't have a black short sleeve shirt.  She also wore a black bowler hat from my costume bin.  I could not deter her from this choice.  She was doing all sorts of theatrical poses in the mirror before she left for school.  I hope it didn't distract from her learning. This girl is destined for greatness.
For family home evening on Monday, I decided to take advantage of the warm weather and plant some little herb planter boxes.  Derek was at "Man Camp."  So I took the kids on my own to Home Depot.  They didn't quite tear the store apart, but they explored every nook and cranny of the garden area at top speed while I tried to make good decisions about what to buy.  One of my money saving resolutions needs to be to shop only WITHOUT kids.  I can't make logical decisions when I am worried about what they are up to.  So I got the wrong size planters and I am going to have to transplant soon if the plants thrive (it is now back to 50 degrees, so I haven't looked out to see how they are handling it).  Anyway, the kids got really into the experience.  They all helped find rocks for the bottom of the planters.  They helped put the dirt and plants in.  Then Libby rushed to the garage for the....bicycle pump. I gave her a confused look and she explained it was to give the plants some fresh air.  I love it.  I know they have been studying about plants in science.  Guessing they studied about how plants need fresh air.  Applied learning!   
Sarah had gotten bored by this point.  She was inside doing something.  Probably reading or taking advantage of some alone time to play.  She gets pretty tired of playing with Ben bugging her.
After lots of hand washing, we gathered in the office to talk about how faith is like a little seed, if planted it will grow.  It just now occurred to me that we planted plants, not seeds.  But I think they got something out of the evening nonetheless...

Ben also got into the watering.  Unfortunately he was all about watering the dandelions on the other side of the planters.  This side of our yard is a bit of a jungle.  Hoping to find a landscaper to take on our project soon.  Turns out it is hard to find!

No comments: