Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Happy Birthday Derek

I swear that my favorite podcaster, Gretchen Rubin, can read my mind.  She has done several episodes that are just straight up answers to questions that I have.  Just a few weeks ago the "know yourself better" section of her podcast was about coming to realize how you actually feel about your birthday.  Until this time, I just thought Derek was just being kind of a stinker about his birthday.  But, I guess, according to Gretchen (and my husband) there are people who really don't like to celebrate their birthdays.  So, now I know.  Did this stop me from throwing him a tiny party?  No, it did not.  Would he have rather been sleeping?  Probably.  But Happy Stinking Birthday Anyway Birthday Hater ;)

Derek with his huge pile of presents.  He had to open his big gift before we went to dinner (the fire pit) so that he would know why we had to hurry-ish at dinner so we could come back and roast marshmallows. 

He only had 2 birthday requests.  Dinner at the Sushi Buffet, and that I would make cookies for his co-workers.  He was granted both wishes.  Lucky boy.  


Fire pit about to get started! 

I only invited 2 friends and some family members.  And these friends are practically family.  Brian Alfi.

And Mike.  Who also supplied the wood and tended the fire. 

I can't get enough of this guy . (Literally since he is always working right now.  The Mariners have 17 games in June or something ridiculous like that.)

A Maren Special.  Totally blackened marshmallows.  

Grammy and Grandpa even came.  Sadly it rained just a bit before the fire.  The cement was mossy and slippery and Grammy fell.  Yikes.  The next day she said she was ok.  And on his next morning off, Derek got out the pressure washer to start cleaning the cement.
Before pressure washing up top, the clean cement down below.  It was really dirty and mossy! 

No comments: