Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Piano Recital 2017

Since I started working at the school, the girls' quality of piano practice time went way down.  It was one of the mom fails that led me to realize that I CAN'T work as much as I did the last 4 months if I want my kids to be successful.  But anyway, I digress.
They managed to pull out a pretty good performance at the piano recital.  Up until the recital Sarah was still playing "Hedwig's Theme" like it was a new piece that she struggled with EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Since it was Libby's piece last year, I didn't expect it to be that hard.  But it was.  "Rise and Shine" she started learning only a month or so before the recital.  And you can tell.
Libby, on the other hand, picked her piece early on, refused to learn 2, and pretty quickly memorized her piece and played it well.  You would think from listening to their recital that Libby practiced more diligently than Sarah.  NOT SO.  Sarah practices basically every day.  She ticks off her songs in her notebook to make sure she plays them all.  Libby plays most days.  And what she plays is hit and miss.  Sometimes she composes, or picks out songs.  Sometimes she actually plays what she is supposed to (but never all 3 times).  Occasionally she even plays her scales. But, this is how this one turned out:
On the way in

The girls with their great teacher

No comments: