Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Split is Here to Stay

I spent the whole summer hoping that my split would turn into a straight 5th grade class.  Sadly, not enough 4, 5 or 6th grade students moved into MP to give us enough for another teacher.  But the decision wasn't final until THIS WEEK!  So I had already spent 5 school days with  my students.  It was so hard--teaching, setting up routines, knowing that I would have to redo everything if my class changed.  And, hoping that it would change, at the same time, to simplify my life.  And then it didn't change.  So I don't have to reteach all my routines.  But I do have to figure out how to teach a split class!  
One thing I know for sure--right now I feel like my stint in elementary school is going on too long.  I got the hang of it last year, but I feel doubtful that I will end up feeling successful this year.  I will be treading water again.  All year.  I was easily able to give myself grace last year--I was new at the whole elementary school world.  This year, I am just frustrated that so many of the things I figured out last year need to be rethought in a split class environment.  And, since I got into the whole teaching thing because of my passion for history, I can't see how I am going to teach both history curriculums.  Especially because I get 2 hours with my 4th graders a week while my 5th graders are at instrumentals, and no extra time with my 5th graders.  (And they don't expect me to.  They give me something to teach where I can incorporate both WA and US histories into a storypath...not really my style to spend a year with storypath.)
I am a creative teacher--give me something and I'll figure out a great way to teach it. But I feel stumped by the set of variables in front of me.  Add to that that I am not sleeping well and I have been having migraines about 1/2 of the days.  So--give me a headache free week or so and maybe the light will have dawned.  At least the decision has been made and my master schedule sorted out.  The elementary school world is insanely complicated.  
Sigh.
Also adding to the complexity is that it is full on Rhino season startup.  I am spending multiple hours a day (so it is good that I'm not sleeping well, otherwise I wouldn't have those hours) trying to get everything ready for the season.  I literally spent 5 hours yesterday between the coaches meeting, reconciling finances, typing the minutes from the meeting (sec had to leave early), trying to get insurance and facility use forms ready for our new South club.  You might say it is the hay bale breaking my back.  
Okay--enough ranting.  Nothing to be done but get through it.  My board term ends in less than a year.  We did go to the pool on Thursday night--might be the last good weather night.  I don't have internet at the pool.  But I could make some Rhino phone calls to figure out why we were having problems with our new website. (Sigh again.)    

Yesterday was a good day.  In between Rhinos work, a much needed visit to the chiropractor, and reorganizing the pantry, I finally put up some pictures in the family room.  It's not perfect.  But anything worth doing is worth doing badly, right?  And I think this is a step up from badly.  It's good.  


I also got a lot of school work done yesterday because the kids went to the Husky game with Derek.  They had a great time, and it was a big Husky win.  Uncle Clark hooked them up at the Husky team store!  New shirt (Sarah), sweatshirt (Libby), and a foam hand for Benny.  

No comments: