Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, June 30, 2019

1st Week of Summer!

I wasn't very good at taking pictures this week, but we did have a great first week of summer.
Our morning routine: Ben and Sarah have swim practice at 8 am.  Libby and I walk to the track and run/walk (hopefully will be more running than walking soon--training for cross country!)
Then Libby has swimming at 9.  I come home with Ben and Sarah.  Chores and school work commence.  They are all in love with Prodigy math, an online game.  They are reading math problems, doing math problems, it is great!  They are dying for a membership, so I need to figure that out.
Libby comes home by a little after 10 and joins the math/chores brigade.  This week we deep cleaned the playroom, the stuffies in Ben's room, and the girls' room.  These were mighty projects (especially the girls' room)  I must have made 10 trips to the bathroom with hairpins and rubber bands, AFTER I thought I had gotten them all.) They were pretty good helpers.  One of our summer rules is that they can't play until 2 pm.  Friend and play hours are 2-5 pm. They have accepted this pretty well.
In addition to Gators and cleaning, we started volleyball, made 2 trips to the MP Swim Club (3 for Sarah) and got in our first hike.

It was a weird weather week.  When we went to the MP Swim Club on Thursday, I had to wrap up in a towel like a blanket it was so cold.  When we went on Saturday, I was sweating buckets--and forgot to bring a towel so I couldn't get in.  I guess we also went on Wednesday evening--so make that 3 trips! But I'm glad the sun seems to be out again for now.  Makes it really feel like summer.

Volleyball is Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings.  I tried to get out of volunteering for volleyball (I definitely said no when they asked if I wanted to serve on the board).  But when they made a direct ask--saying they needed an assistant coach for Libby and Sarah's teams, what could I say?  I became "Coach Trish" on Saturday.  It was pretty fun, actually.  I guess I would have to say that volleyball is my favorite sport to play, so I got to hit around a bit.  My favorite quote was from Sarah on Tuesday.  She was running up to the net to pick up her volleyball after serving with other people serving all around her.  "This is TERRIFYING!" I heard her say. 


I gave my kids a dose of adversity on our first hike of the summer.
I posted about our hike on fb:
Our first hike of the summer in the books. I left my phone in the car, so no pics. What would be in the pictures had we taken them you ask? Photos of the Discovery Park lighthouse from the wrong beach. Then from the correct beach. Then lots of breaks on the hill up from the beach. Then pictures of all the many people it took to help us find the car after we got lost. Sarah crying in the final stretch. #onlyupfromhere #4milesbecame7 #momfail

I neglected to mention in the FB post that I got stinging nettle on my finger, we almost ran out of water and snacks too.  But we had a good time playing various games (20 questions, categories, the name game (first letter, last letter).  And, we survived! They didn't like it when I sang, "What Doesn't Kill you Makes you Stronger" though.

I also did a lot of painting in the sunroom.  It is getting closer to being done.  The carpet goes in on Wednesday, and I'm hoping to have all the painting done.  We will see.  It depends on if the window is in by then. I should paint the ceiling, but I can't seem to rally enough to it!

We had dinner with Maren for her birthday on Friday, and took her ice cream on Wednesday, the actual day.  Ben got new shoes (looped in with one of my paint buying outings).
Ok, seriously, it was a busy week!  It's amazing how much you can get done when you don't have to go to school!
This week my parents and Davey come for Ben's baptism.  I'm excited!

No comments: