Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Ben's 8-Year-Old Trip

I wasn't sure how I was going to fit in Ben's 8-year-old trip.  This tradition started when Rachel was having Devin and Libby happened to be turning 8.  Then I took Sarah just before I started the kindergarten hi-cap job that led me back into full time work.  Now how was I going to get a trip to FL in?  Brad is phasing out of Disney.  I felt so busy with work.  Summer is the worst time to travel to FL.  But then I saw a window of opportunity--and a chance to feel helpful in the process!  Rachel & Brad are opening a Great Harvest franchise.  They needed to move from one spot in Orlando to another.  They were closing on their old house the day school let out.  So I acted fast. 
The tickets weren't cheap, but since I have been spending a lot of money on plane tickets this year, it just felt normal.  We left on Friday evening (had to stay for Field Day) and came back on Tuesday.  Rachel had movers get all their stuff to the new house before we got there so we could help them unpack.  Ben got an afternoon at Universal (with all of us) and almost a whole day at Disney with Brad, the Disney expert.  I got many hours of helping with unpacking, cleaning and cooking.  I was in heaven.  (Ha! My brand of fun is so different that other peoples'!) 
It was so fun to spend lots of time with Ben.  He is so easy to be around!
It was Sports Day on Field Day.  We both wore one layer of USU and one layer of Rhinos. 


I had Devin and Ben unpack the magnets for the fridge.  It was only then that Ben said, "Mom, why are we putting magnets on the fridge if they are just moving?" It was then that I realized he hadn't been to their old house, so he didn't realize this was the new house and we were helping with unpacking.  Ha!

Devin really loves Benny.  He plays a little rougher than Ben is used to, but on the way home, Ben kept saying, "I already miss Devin."

Universal! 


We waited for the Dragon to breathe fire, and he didn't when we were looking from this direction.  Later when Devin, David and I were waiting for the others to ride Gringots, we were right under the dragon when it breathed fire. We jumped pretty high!

Brad knows all the ins and outs of Disney since he does VIP tours.  We got them there early enough to get signed up for Jedi Training!  

Ben is very good a using the force! 

While we came home to a hectic last 2 days of school (and houseguests, and meetings, etc.) I am so glad we got to go!  It is hard to have family spread all over the country.  But I'm so glad that we could make this trip. 
On the flight home I entered all my grades and comments on my report card.  Then I read Outliers.  I know everyone else read it a few years back when it came out, but it just blew my mind!  I loved it! Wow.  It was a really energizing read. 
I am looking forward to summer.

No comments: