Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, August 9, 2020

Camping at Horseshoe Cove

This summer Derek was supposed to be fulfilling a life long dream of watching Olympic Wrestling live in Japan.  He had plane tickets, event tickets, and a hotel reservation.  Then COVID.  He decided not to cancel his vacation time.  We had lots of little things scheduled (PT, doctors, girls camp meetings, etc.)--so we couldn't get away for a long trip.  But we got in one overnight at Horseshoe Cove at Baker Lake.  It was AMAZING!  I love camping.  In good weather.  And this was excellent weather, a fun lake, good food, and almost no meltdowns.  (It turns out that Libby doesn't like getting dirty??). 
Derek and I found this secret channel on a walk.  It was so fun to jump in...even I did it! 

Being an early riser, I got to enjoy a solo cup of hot chocolate by the fire.  It was delightful.

Ben and I went to bed early.  The night owls stayed up and took photos and walked around in the dark. 

We used our camp stove to heat up taco soup for dessert.  We've had the stove for YEARS.  I think we've only used it once.  It worked so well for both breakfast (eggs, bacon and pancakes) and dinner.  

Camping smile!  (Be careful or a mosquito might fly in though!  There were many bug bites--despite repellant use.) 

Libby wanted to capture the reflection of the lake in my glasses.  Not sure if you can see it...but I look pretty serene--and that's actually how I felt too.  Camping does that for me. 

Swim time! Those logs were fun to climb on and try to stay on--as they turn and dump you off.  We came home with a few splinters.  

Proof (behind us) that we were at Baker Lake.  I have to take these shots or I forget where we've gone. 

So fun to have the whole family back together.  (Although I did catch Sarah telling Ben that she thought she missed Libby--but now that Libby was home she realized that she hadn't really missed her as much as she thought.)

No comments: