Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Independence & North Lakes Hike

 My brother-in-law Brett and my nephew Kaj do a ton of hiking.  I asked if I could tag along.  Then I also pulled Maren into the hike...and my kids.  It was an intense hike.  According to my fitbit we went about 7.5 miles.  And there was a lot of elevation gain.  And it was wet and chilly (lots of foliage brushing you as you went along the narrow trail--so you got really damp--especially Ben).

But we did it!

I learned one really important lesson (or two I guess).  I put the van key into my pants pocket.  It isn't a very deep pocket.  So I kept checking for it along the path.  I stepped off the path to go to the bathroom.  It was more slippery and steep than I expected.  I slipped and fell.  I got up and found a spot to go potty.  When I rejoined the group, I felt prompted to check for the key.  It wasn't there.  Mini panic.  Mental prayers.  I rushed back to check the area where I had gone to the bathroom.  No key.  I realized I should also check where I had fallen.  There--after I moved bushes around, etc...I FOUND IT!  Huge relief.  So thankful that I had been prompted to check right away and I could remember that spot on the trail where I had stepped off.  It looked much like 1000 other places on the trail.  Anyway--I zipped the key into my fanny pack after that.  No insecure pockets for important things like keys!  

All smiles, ready to get hiking (note: the forecast did not call for rain or moisture--but here it was)

We couldn't actually drive to the trailhead--so this extended the hike about 1/2 mile (each way)

Less smiles

Notice Ben's frustrated face?  Definitely bit off a bit more than he wanted to chew.  But he made it!  (I gave him Sarah's sweatshirt and gave Sarah mine for the way down.  That helped.  My hat was a lifesaver--it kept me dry and warm....and so fashionable!)

This is the end of the hike where you are supposed to look down and see a beautiful view of North Lake.  Well--the fog was also lovely! 

We did get to see Independence Lake on the way up (and down) from the North Lake overlook.  It was so cool in the fog & mist. 

Thanks Brett & Kaj! 

No comments: