Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Mom Wins & Mom Fails...

This week was an amazingly quick week.  I feel like I blinked and it was Friday. 
Anyway, I'm using the blog right now to analyze my Mom performance as I transition into being a working mom. 
A couple of things I have been reflecting on this week.
1.  I should have allowed (read forced) my kids to do more things for themselves.  Things they were entirely capable of, but it was easier if I did them.  You know?  Because now they aren't used to pouring their own milk and parting their own hair.  I just got Sarah turning on her own shower water, for crying out loud.  So some of my current frustrations are my own fault.
2.  I can actually handle a messy house and overflowing laundry baskets...when I know I have a calm and peaceful weekend coming to take care of it all.
3.  I love teaching my kids as much as I love teaching my students if I think about it like actual teaching.

Anyway, that is the philosophical waxing.
I made dinner a couple of nights this week.  A couple of nights we went out.  That's just how it will be for a while.  (Especially Mondays, because we are not home for dinner time).
The major fail is that I haven't figured out how to get Libby to take ownership for/remember her homework.  And now I look extra bad when she doesn't do it.  I had to send her back to her classroom (and one night physically drive her back to school) when she doesn't bring it home.  There has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth over her homework.  AHHH! 
I made a change to the points system we use to help give her motivation to get it done.  But I seriously wish she cared more.  Also I wish she would eat more so that she wasn't melting down every night when it comes down to homework time.  That girl packed a lunch for herself with like 8 pieces of pepperoni, carrots and pirate's booty.  That is like 100 calorie total.  So no wonder.  And then she forgot said lunch at home.  Luckily my class made chili as an in-class field trip with a PURE FOOD group, so she got to eat the extra cup.
And can I say that picture day was the most stressful day of the week?  But we all got there looking our best.  I got a special school pic with all 3 kids with me!
Libby's waterfall braid.  It was awesome, but she had running club right after we did it, so it didn't last as well as it might have.



Now for the MOM WINS!
We did make it to the Shorewood Shorecrest game.  Libby and I were an hour late and I left with Ben about 20 minutes later, but we were there for the photo.  (And I get in for free now that I am a teacher!)

And the best part of the week was General Conference.  It is 2 days of inspiration talks by LDS church leaders.  It is the first time I haven't had clients or classes or kid things to run off to.  I was so calming and amazing. 
I got crafts for the kids to do while they listened and they listened!  One leader was talking about how much he loves the book of Mormon.  Ben was doing Perlers and said, "Yeah, me too!"  As the last speaker was announced, Sarah said, "I'm sad it's over.  This has been the best weekend!"  I agree! Derek was even home for the whole thing!

 We painted canvases that I bought for various projects in the summer and we never used. 

I made seriously the best cinnamon rolls I've ever made.  It helped that I couldn't sleep anymore at 4:30 am, so they had plenty of time to rise and be ready for 9:00 am.


This is my painting.  I don't like the way it turned out, but it was fun! 

Libby bought a jewelry making kit.  She loves making jewelry.  She stayed so focused for so long.  So it is possible.  Just has to be something she wants to do! 

Perlers are always a good time.  These are mine and Sarah's in the dino in the background.  I'm hoping the integrate mine into the Halloween decor that we (mostly I) put up today.  But I ran out of gas before I put them up.  


No comments: