Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Norton Reading Challenge

In the spring I had an amazing conference call with two of my favorite moms.  One is a newer mom, Jen.  But she married into 5 kids.  One is a veteran, Mary Anne, my favorite mission companion. Jen and I were looking for ideas to keep kids excited and engaged over the summer.
Mary Anne mentioned a reading challenge that they can do in Utah.
Since they don't have it here, I figured we could make up our own. With the Norton Family.
And it was so fun!
It helped us figure out what books on CD to listen to as we drove around this summer.
This we will for sure do again next summer!
The only time we could all be in town was the night before the Research Symposium, so I asked Maren to host.  (Okay, I voluntold her to host.)  But she nailed it!  She came up with the cute buckets with the candy and team names.  Seriously awesome.  I didn't get a pic of my team, which was Emma, Geneva, and Jed.
The books we read were all children's or YA lit.  (Which was good for the people who were cramming in the last week!)
The Boxcar Children
The Hobbit
Homer Price
Matlida
Beezus and Ramona

We used reading counts quizzes, which are multiple choice.  That made it pretty easy (except the Hobbit questions were pretty hard!)
  So then in round 2 we did the questions, but we didn't give the options, you just had to come up with the answers.  That was really hard!  So next year one of us will probably have to write questions that are somewhere in the middle.  But the final round, where we wagered points, really separated the scores!  Derek and Alayne's team won handily.









But my team, the bookworms, did come in 2nd!

We had Brian come be the question reader.  He did a great job.  Made it super fun!  

No comments: