Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, August 6, 2017

Two Weeks from the Kid Perspective

When my brother Dave announced his wedding date, my heart was sad.  It was a time that Derek absolutely could not come.  It was the weekend of the Bite of Seattle, and then wrestling camp.  So, then came the decision, do I take the kids to Spain by myself?  Or do I figure out something for them to do in Seattle or Utah?  We happened to be discussing this over Spring Break when my cousin Shelley was at my parents' house.  She offered to watch the kids.  Plan 1 was to have her and Addie come here.  But in the end it worked best for me to drive the kids to Utah so I could travel with my parents and she could take the kids to St. George for the week.  They had a blast!  And the whole time I was in Spain I would think, "I wish the kids were here to see this..." and then for the next 10 hours I would think, "I'm so glad they aren't here right now, this travelling would make them crazy!"  It really was a perfect solution!

I am quite proud of myself for one accomplishment on this road trip.  I stretched myself (and my bladder) so that we could stop closer to every 3 hours instead of every 2.  I have to be munching to stay awake as I drive, so usually I munch on ice.  But I mixed it up with gum, snacks, and ice so that we could stop less often.  Definitely gets the drive over with more quickly!
 The St. George Pics aren't in order, but you'll get the feel for all the fun they had! It was probably the most fun week of their summer!  (They even went camping, but I didn't manage to upload that picture.)
They got to celebrate the 24th of July Utah style!  It is Libby's birthday, but it is also a state holiday celebrating the day the pioneers reached the SL Valley.  Fireworks!  

Libby got a karaoke machine for her birthday!  Lots of singing (and as Neil noted, lots of singing of the same few songs.  I'm not sad I missed this ;).

24th of July PARADE!


Pie FACE

PIE FACED!

Reading time with cousin Addie

They visited multiple Shaved Ice shacks and compared them to come up with their favorite. 

Splash Park!  My kids were surprised to be going there super early in the morning (and to go to parks late in the evening).  But that is how you have to live in a super hot climate! 


My cousin teaches sewing workshops.  So the girls each made their own pillowcase.  I helped them pick their fabric before we left.  You would not believe the combos they were looking at without my help.  


This birthday girl had the best, longest lasting birthday ever.  Her birthday will get its own post there were so many celebrations.  Sh asked for bacon for breakfast and spaghetti for dinner.  
The birthday spoils.  And she did get spoiled by a mom who felt guilty for not being there on her birthday.  

Reunited!  We met up at In N Out Burger in Lehi area.  It was a joyous reunion!  

I am so thankful to Shelley and family for showing my kids a great time!  
Once we were back together in Centerville, we spent a couple of days hanging out with cousins.  We met up with Liddie, a cousin from the Norton side for some fun at the Classic Fun Center (skating--my favorite, and water sliding). 
Liddie and Sarah

Ben and Libby.  There was a kiddie pool too, and they all went there first.  Ben was the first to ask if he could go on the big slides!  He went down with no fear and loved it!

We celebrated Libby's birthday, again.  She asked for a tower of ice cream sandwiches instead of a cake. We also had a "flinging animals" segment of her party.  See below...

This is my cousin Wes' daughter Scarlet.  Getting to hang out with Wes and Jennifer and family was a highlight of our trip!  Here she is flinging a crocodile at someone. 

Emily flinging a flamingo! (Thankfully they had made it back from Spain after 2 cancelled flights!)

More Karaoke!

Libby playing with Aria.

On our last day in Utah we went to This is the Place Monument with Bryn & Brian and family and with Wes' family. Since we had been there last summer, I asked the kids if they'd rather leave early and get back to see Dad sooner.  They said, "No, we get to see Dad all the time.  We don't get to go to This is the Place very often."  Lol.  

Sarah on her pony ride. 

Ben was refusing to look at me during his ride. 

Ben in the splash park.  He got 100% wet.  

Sarah getting an old fashioned shave. 

Libby panning for "gold."  

Handcart pulling (or pretending).
The next morning we headed for home.  I woke up super early (as I had been since coming back from Spain), so we were on the road by 5:30 am.  It was a memorable and amazing 2 weeks.  I couldn't wait to sleep in my own bed!

Libby told everyone as we were leaving, "See you at Christmas, unless there is a funeral!"  (This seemed funny since last Oct. we told everyone we would see them at Christmas and then saw them 2 weeks later for my grandma's funeral.  It doesn't seem funny now, since this week my Aunt Arvae had a brain bleed and has been fighting for her life.  Today I am fasting and praying for her.  I hope that we do see them all at Christmas and not before!)

1 comment:

shelley schwendiman said...

We had the best time! The highlight of my summer!