Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Pretty in Pink--The Girls' Bedroom Facelift

When we first moved into our house in 2013, I was so proud of the way I fixed up the girls' room.  It went from this...


To this!  I reused their bedding, curtains and color scheme from our old house to save money.  But I scraped wall-paper, painted, put up new baseboards, etc.  

I didn't do a great job on the texturizing, because it was my first time.  I didn't realize I could sand it down, so there were some really hideously drippy sections of texture.  Mostly hidden behind their bed.  So Libby would pick at them during the night.  I touched up the paint several times.  Then, they wanted their beds unstacked.  And they got a new dresser.  And I never had the energy to rearrange the pictures.  I just kept throwing stuff up on their walls and stacking stuff on the dressers and shelves until it was a hodge podge that drove me crazy.  
Libby loves to sleep in pitch black.  So I promised that this summer, after the exchange students left, I would repaint and decorate their room so she could get blackout curtains.
Their bedding was tired and getting quite frumpy lumpy.  So I decided I would use the new bedding to pick a paint color.  We looked and looked.  I wanted to stay with the same color family so that I wouldn't have to replace everything (like frames, and their motto).  But we had a hard time finding something we liked.  I couldn't even find anything that they could both agree on, let alone that I could tolerate.
Finally, after literally 10 stores + amazon, overstock, and just plain google, they found something that they could agree on!  And that I liked.  (It wouldn't have been my first choice, because I see all the white in the background as a stain waiting to happen, but I was DONE looking!)
And, while I could have picked out any of the several colors to paint the walls, pink just felt right.
Before

After I re-texturized, lightly sanded (with a new drywall sander attachment that hooks to the shop vac and doesn't get dust everywhere!) and repainted.  

I put up new shelves in the closet that are now Libby's dresser.  

Her blankie, "Binkies" was getting totally nasty.  It was a quilt with not a single tie left in it.  So I told her it couldn't come into the new room.  She bought this box at Hobby Lobby and decorated it for her blankie to rest in.  

I added these two mirrors to their closet door along with this vinyl message.  Probably my favorite (and the most important part) of their new room.  They are beautiful!  

The blackout curtains.  I got them from Amazon.  I love them!  They are polyester, and do the job nicely without being super heavy and nasty.  (Except that there is a slit at the end that shines right on Libby's face.  Gotta close the gap at the end.) 

I wanted them to each have more places to hang things that they want to keep.  They each got a magnet board at Michaels.  I had them paint the front, then I fabric glued ribbon on the outside and inside edges.  I bought the round mirror and the quote from Roosevelt, "Believe you can do it and you're 1/2 way there."  Also their motto is finally on the wall that they will see the most.  "Chin up, Keep Shining, Stay Humble, Smile."

The other wall has their baptism drawings, dance pics and some more magnet strips for hanging.  
I'm happy to be done with this project.  I have one more thing to finish before school starts.  Hopefully I can get to it!


No comments: