Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Happy Habitats

I don't write very much about my teaching life on this blog...It's because I could go on and on and on.  I feel like I need a teacher blog too.  But who has time for that? 
But this week I was particularly happy with a project I designed, and the results! (And I remembered to take pictures too!)
I felt like the science kit I was supposed to teach was full of good science ideas, but the methods for teaching them was lame. We are supposed to learn about environments, and the living and non-living things that animals need in their environment.  So I turned it into a research project.
Kids researched animal habitats and made a poster and a model to explain the interactions between living and non-living things in their environments.  AND, an actual zookeeper came to look at their work and give them feedback!  It was so fun!  Shout out to Cougar Mountain Zoo, one of the smaller zoos in our area for sending out a zookeeper (on relatively short notice).  She was awesome.  She brought tiger whiskers and a tiger skull for the kids to touch.  She gave them some great feedback on their projects and answered lots of questions. 
Did you know that there are specific University/Zoo programs? 
Anyway, it was a good learning experience for everyone (me included!)
Panda in its habitat

The sloth (wearing a tophat...don't ask me why)

Polar Bears

Poison Dart frogs

Wolves (I guess this is actually a lone origami wolf).

Origami pigs

Arctic Fox

Gorilla

Snow leopard

The awesome Zookeeper Morgan and Tiger Skull
 

No comments: