Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Saturday, November 5, 2022

Halloween 2022

I had the best idea for our Halloween costume while I was in the dentist chair in August.  And then...I didn't write it down.  So--it was gone.  Dang! I tried and tried to bring it back.  Never came.  We had been considering being famous singers.  But Ben refused to be Elvis or Johnny Cash.  Or anyone recognizable.  So I went to google. I found a list of fun family ideas.  While none of them was the 4 Seasons, something spurred me and I went with it.  The chance to be Mother Earth was perfect--especially since I could ALSO wear it for my Guide to the Galaxy project finale--Galactic Travel Day.  And, I didn't need to buy anything for Derek.  Win, Win, Win.  Sarah's dress didn't arrive in time.  But it was a beautiful formal in spring green with flowers.  Libby is "snow" and wouldn't wear a Santa hat.  Ben is Fall, and we never got a pic of the back of his jersey where I used the cricut to put his name ("Fall").  Anyway, it all worked out for the Ward Harvest Festival.  So fun.    

We didn't have our annual Spiros dinner--THEY WERE CLOSED!  But luckily we knew far enough in advance that we moved to Maren's.  

Neither girl wore their costume on actual Halloween. Libby was Kid something.  Sarah was...I'm not sure.  She got drenched on the way home from the bus. Both girls still went trick-or-treating with friends (and Ben went with Libby and her friends). 

This is what Ben wore to school on Halloween (because at Elementary we are no longer allowed to do Halloween parties, but in HS and Middle School they have a dress up day--don't get me started.) So when he got soaked on the walk from the bus, he could still wear his actual costume for trick-or-treating. 

Ben testing out costumes for school.  This one is still too big. 

So summery. 

I loved my sash--made with my cricut.

Maren sponsored a pumpkin carving day.  I'm so glad she does this so we don't have the mess at our house. 


Another costume test. 

For the ward Harvest Festival, we did face painting.  We figured out what to buy to get good face painting from a girl who used to be a professional face painter.  Snazaroo is the brand.  Awesome. We practiced for our activity.  Super fun.  

My art on Sarah's hands.

The green stuff was there already...
Also, if you're looking up ideas for face painting, add the word "doodles" to get simple images.  Like "Halloween doodles." Pro tip that I learned during this process.

 Derek and I handed out candy together (maybe a first? usually he works) and watched some episodes of the Rookie.  It's only taking us like 5 years to watch our "show." Haha.  

So that I don't forget an amazing idea again, I have already started a Note that the whole family shares where we can put in Halloween ideas.  I'll always write it down right away!   Even if I'm in the dentist chair! 

No comments: