Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Friday, October 12, 2007

Great News! and a tough day


Today Libby gained yet another ounce! She is 8lbs. 13 oz. So, they are leaving the tube OUT! We go back for our next weight check on Monday. She has been eating just fine. The other picture, the tough day part, came from the fact that today Mrs. Norton packed up her classroom and moved it all home. She managed not to cry until the drive home. Following is the text of the letter she sent to her students and colleagues.

October 10, 2007


Dear Staff and Students of Mountlake Terrace High School,


I love teaching. I love Mountlake Terrace High School. When I decided to become a mother, I knew that I would love it, because I love my students so much. I thought I could continue teaching part-time and enjoy the best of both worlds. Since my daughter was born, and in the past few weeks especially, I have come to realize that my time as a teacher is over, at least for now. I always knew that I wasn’t in it forever, so I tried every idea that came to mind, no matter how crazy, no matter how time consuming. I relished just about every moment. While I feel a deep sense of loss that I will not be here at Terrace every day, I move on to motherhood without regrets.
I have criticized myself for even starting this year, leaving students after only a few short weeks, but I think my departure at this time has two important benefits. First, I am leaving knowing that I cannot be the kind of teacher that I want to be and the kind of mother that I want to be. I will not become a bitter stay-at-home mom because I have tried being a working mom, and I realize that for now it is not for me. Secondly, it gives me the opportunity to teach my students by example a lesson far more important than any I could have taught in a lecture or a classroom activity: family is the most important thing in life…even more important than European history.
Thank you to my colleagues who have put up with my feisty nature and encouraged me to be a better teacher. Thank you to my students who have dressed up, danced, debated, and written far more than they ever wanted to. Thank you to my husband whose hard work and love makes it possible for me to stay home with our daughter. Thank you to our daughter for helping me understand what true love and true fulfillment feels like. I will miss you all.


Sincerely,


Tricia Norton

3 comments:

mrn said...

How much I admire and love you as amazing teacher and incredible mom. Thanks for letting me be a part of both parts of your world!

the Rew Crew said...

Trish,

Being a SAHM mom is hard! Being a working mom is harder! That is, unless there is some amazing job out there that I have still yet to find. Please let me know if you discover it because my husband would sure love to not have to support my spending habits.

Good luck with the little one, and have fun being the boss and CEO of your family and every minute of every day. It's great!

Packer Family said...

I'm glad that you are folowing your heart! Libby's shirt is so Cute!!! See you at church.
Sam