Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Libbyisms

Here are some of my favorite Libbyisms for today:
"I wanna watch Seven Brothers for Seven Brides."
"I want to watch Peter Pan, I thought."
"Mommy, sing "Ya Gotta Eat your Spinach--from Rebecca." "Sing LOUDER!" "SING LOUDER!" (From Rebecca of Sunnybrook farms, one of my favorite Shirley Temple movies. And she really makes me sing it LOUD!)

She said both of these over and over. So cute. Except for the fact that they revolved around her wanting to watch tv. Yikes. So much tv.

Now that the weather has turned and it isn't fun to go outside and play without any clothes on, she doesn't want to go out. What options does that leave? Have me read to her (which I love to do, but only so much) or watch a "show". Usually when I turn it on she watches for a few minutes then runs away and plays. But I hate turning it on so often. I hate listening to her whining, and I hate that I am giving in more than I should. Man, this parenting thing is hard.

I resolve to spend a few minutes at least playing outside with her so she can get used to leaving her clothes on and playing outside in the cold. Any other tips to get her used to playing outside again?

3 comments:

Packer Family said...

When the boys get a little too much into movies I put a sign on the TV that says No Movies and make it seem like it's not my choice, The TV say No? Also to get her to play outside, take something she loves to play with outside. I know that sounds simple but think of things you wouldn't normally take outside, paint, playdough, or books. Ooooo have a reading picnic!! You spread out a blanket and put out a basket of books and just read:) Take a portable CD player out side and Dance! Check out my Blog for tons of outside and inside ideas. littlehandsbigwork.blogspot.com I can't resist, tell her you need help finding something and you think it's outside i.e. big ball when she "finds it" ask her if she want to kick it? Ok I'm done now:)

Taylor said...

Mad has a little chart with 3 tvs (worth roughly 20 minutes each). Each time she wants to watch a show, she takes off a TV. When the TVs are gone, we are done with TV for the day. This worked great, when I actually used it. Now that we are in survival mode adjusting to a newborn she watches a lot more. sigh.

Debbi said...

I know this doesn't get her outside, but I always had you guys cook, clean, or otherwise work with me.

Start encouraging the two girls to play together. Tell Libby to hide something and then have her help Sarah find it. Lots of variations on this theme.

Classical music listening. It soothes the savage beast (or daughter).