Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Holiday Traditions



There are certain holiday traditions in the Randall family that are very important.  Making gingerbread (graham cracker) houses is one of them.  This year I just figured I would let that one go though, because I have been so busy and we didn't have an FHE time when we would be home for it.  But on Monday afternoon, Libby asked if we could make gingerbread houses as a surprise for daddy.  I was just cleaning up from a cooking project, so I jumped at the chance to make another mess, and we went for it.  It was mostly me making my house and Libby's, but Sarah dictated where I should put the "glue" and then she added the candy.  They both ate about a gallon of candy and we had a blast.  When Derek came home we shut off the lights and then flipped them on and  yelled "surprise!!!" over the houses.  SO fun!  I am loving having kids that are a bit older.  (We also watched a Randall Christmas classic that I just bought on VHS--The Night They Saved Christmas!  It was a bit distracting for the girls.  How could I expect them to focus on houses when such a masterpiece of acting and script writing was on the TV?)

2 comments:

Sleepless In St. George said...

My best house advice? Hot glue the house together and then decorate! Saves so much time!

triciarnorton said...

We are all about the hot glue :)
Icing is for the trimming only.