Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Friday, December 30, 2016

Christmas Traditions: Christmas Eve at the Nortown



The video here is a little joke we sang to Clark.  I had it all ready to go and then Derek said we should keep things more sacred.  So I left it off the program.  But then I forgot to tell Alayne.  So she asked, "What about our song?"  I said Derek didn't think it was reverent enough.  Clark guffawed.  So then we had to do it.  Thanks Mom and Rachel and my cousin Wes (the original turkey) for the idea.

During the days prior to the big dinner, we worked on the centerpieces and games as craft projects.  I wish I had a picture of the candy cane ring toss, I bought a set from Amazon, then added the big candy canes full of candy.  The kids had a really good time with it.  
Then we opened Christmas Crackers that we made.  Inside we found pieces to 2 Christmas puzzles that we put together (except for the 2 pieces that got lost.  Have to revise that idea for next year.)  We paused from the games to watch the Seahawks lose an intense game.  Then we played Christmas A-Z (kind of a cross between Scattergories and Boggle).  By then the food was ready and we left Christmas Bingo for next year.  
We had 24 people for dinner and the nativity.  I am glad we have a lot of space! Next year I resolve to do some costume planning before the day before.  But, we had the various parts represented and thanks to Pintrest I made a couple of headbands/headpieces for the actors.  
I cried when I explained that we started the tradition of musical numbers at my Grandpa's birthday party on Christmas Eve because they couldn't always make it to our dance or piano performances.  A few of the performers backed out, but we still had some solid performances.  

The tables looked cute!  I was glad I sprang for the paper goods, 24 people is a lot of dishes!  

One of the crafts was painting the stars in the centers of the table.  They have various scriptures on them about Christ being the light.  


Paige and Paul got to be Mary and (Jedi) Joseph.  We are going to get a lot of mileage out of the Jedi robe!  
I made these little sheep headbands.  Ben refused to wear one and didn't want to be in the pageant.  Poor guy really does have some stage fright issues.  Maren, William and Yukine carried the sheep part well.  Lots of baaaaing during the nativity.  

Clark, Kaj and Sam made excellent Wise men (in my other headpiece creation).  Yes, Kaj is wearing an Angry Bird blanket.  Wise men play Angry Birds, right?

We also had a Jedi Shepherd.  Perfect!
We also got Clark pretty well.  I'll see if anyone filmed it...kinda hard to explain.

Then Grammy gave out Pjs.  She didn't forget them this year, since Dad didn't have to work on Christmas morning, Santa came while the kids were asleep, like he does to the other kids in the world  Probably next year he'll come again in the evening.   


No comments: