Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, April 2, 2017

April Fools FUN!

So the kids and I were sitting down to dinner last night while Derek was at the Priesthood session.  I had made the first homecooked meal in 3 nights.  (And Tues is frozen food night around here, so it was IKEA meatballs, so really more nights than that.)  The kids all of sudden looked up and said, "Wait!  It's April Fools and we didn't do anything!" True story.  The last few years I have gone all out for April Fools food fun.  This year I was just proud to have a dinner on the table.  
But we started brainstorming a dessert we could make to fool Derek when he got home.  The ideas were hilarious.  Brainstorming with my kids is one of my favorite things.
Then I realized.  Wait...I don't want to cook anything.  Let's fool him with his favorite cookie that I don't make.
We rushed to Fred Meyer and got some Doublestuff Oreos. We hollowed out a bit of the inside and filled them with different candies.  Then we replaced the top (I did make a little frosting paste from some of the insides and milk that we could pipe onto the oreo to a make sure the new inside stayed hidden).
We made him a nice plate of oreos by his dinner plate.  
I was cool as a cucumber when he got home.  The kids were off playing.  No one was the wiser.  He sat down to eat my delicious beef and barley stew (big instant pot triumph!).  But then, one by one the kids came in and asked, "Did you eat your oreos dad?"  By the time the 3rd kid had casually asked this question, the joke was up.  
He was a good sport and tasted all 4 varieties.  He said the Troll powder was the worst but they were all pretty gross.  
It was a fun April Fools afterall! 
Nerdy Oreo

4 of the innocent looking Oreos

Troll sour powder.  Very easy to disguise!
I only wish we had had time to run some over to Grandma Geneva before bedtime.

No comments: