Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, October 21, 2018

A Weekend Away & Sarah's B-day

Last weekend I didn't post because we went to Birch Bay with some of Derek's family.  It was so beautiful and peaceful, (except for the Husky loss) it was a great weekend.  Except for the fact that my headache was getting crazy bad--and I knew for sure that it was sinus related.  So on the way home, I stayed at the Urgent Care in Derek took the kids home.  It's been a weird sinus infection, no cold, no stuffy  nose, I can breathe and taste.  But the pressure and pain were getting horrible.  I felt like I couldn't hold up my head.  The first round of antibiotics didn't really help.  So I went back on Tuesday and got a stronger dose.  The second doctor told me he wasn't convinced that I had a sinus infection and if the antibiotics didn't help I needed to have a CAT scan.  Yikes!  The stronger dose of antibiotics are helping.  Some. I'm still not back to myself, but I now have motivation to do things.  I don't feel like I'm slogging quite as much.  So I have hope that I don't need a CAT scan.  Maybe just a little more time for the antibiotics to work their magic. 

Anyway, back to the weekend in Birch Bay...it is right on the Canadian Border and the water.  It was so beautiful. 
Absolutely magical sunsets. It was conference week for us, so I packed all my conferences into the early part of the week and took 2 hours of personal time on Friday so we could head out.  (In retrospect I should have used those hours to go to the doctor instead, but we did beat the worst traffic and saw this amazing sunset!)

Walking on the beach at sunset.  Emma is at Western now, so it was convenient and awesome to have her come and hang with us.  She took the kids swimming at the OUTDOOR pool 2x!  Love this girl! 


I love how they keep the OUTDOOR pools open during the cold months.  Kids love it.  The hot tub was down or I might have gotten in there.  It would have felt good I think. Look at that sunset in the background! 

The kids play a game that I love.  They have a theme, like Disney or Angry or Sad or Harry Potter.  Then they each do a little performance/jump into the water that fits the theme.  Emma judges who had the best interpretation of the theme and the winner gets to choose the next theme.  Genius.  I know I have been around when they have played it at the MP Swim Club, but I was always reading and not paying attention.  It was really fun to watch their creativity.  

In the morning I was determined we would go for a hike.  But the mountains were too far away to get back in time for the Husky game.  But in Bellingham there is the "South Bay Trail," a long trail along the water.  It was beautiful.  And it kicked us out into the farmers market, just before they opened.  So of course we looked around and ate some delicious pretzels to fuel us up for the return walk. 


Waiting for the "Bell" to ring. 

The big pretzel stick. 

The giant pretzel. 

The Nutella Pretzel
 Oh--and SARAH turned 10 while we were in Birch BAY!  I was really feeling bad--I forgot her presents!  Luckily Derek came up after the Shorewood game, so I called him and he brought them.  The whole Fablehaven set and her photobook.  I'll also take her shopping at some point.  We got this cake at the nearby grocery store after I realized that Saturday night was the best opportunity to celebrate.  The official Norton party will probably be when we celebrate Clark, since most of the Barretts and Maren couldn't come for the weekend. 
Sarah is such a delight!  I'm so glad she's my daughter!

No comments: