Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Halloween (the actual day...)

Halloween is fun in my classroom...and fun in my favorite way.  It's an academic showcase that the kids think is a party.  Best Day Ever. 
Students do a project that I call "Guide to the Galaxy" and Halloween is Galactic Travel Day.  Kids read a sci-fi or fantasy book that takes place in another world (or a modified version of this one).  Then they create a guide to help us prepare to travel to that world.  It is a lot of work (especially for 4th graders) but it was really fun again this year.  I upped my game this year with some lights in the room, black table cloths under their boards, and a "travel itinerary" for everyone who visited to fill out. (Basically a future reading book list based on the worlds they found most interesting.)  We then read a Halloween story and played Halloween ABCs.  After lunch we played some Heads UP 7-up to celebrate a birthday.  I was glad it was an early release day. 




 There was no trick-or-treating at the Shoreline center this year.  So we skipped right tho Spiros with the Nortons.  Then Derek and I sent the kids trick-or-treating without us.  (Ann joined them, so they did have a big kid there).  We relaxed and watched a show (we are watching the Rookie with Nathan Fillion).  Then I took down Halloween decorations and we got to bed basically on time.  It was a great holiday!


No comments: