Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, September 8, 2019

Summer Six & Summaries

This summer I decided to have us each make 6 goals, our "Summer Six."  I suggested they each think of something they wanted to read, something they wanted to do every day, and then a few other goals.  It was fun to have something to work toward.  We revisited our goals in early August and made a few changes. 
The thing I was most proud of was Sarah learning to cook 10 things.  She really did it!
Ben was sad because he wasn't going to get a medal from swimming.  But then we got them for Volleyball!
We have written School Year Six too.  It is fun to see the kids working toward something (even if they need frequent reminders that they have something they are working on.) 
Some of the worst failures were my fault.  They all wanted more time with friends, but the coordination of that fell to me.  It was hard to make it happen.  I could have done better there.  But I did let them each take a friend to Wild Waves for a whole day.  So that counts as a few playdates, right?




To help reduce the amount of screen time they watched this summer, I made a rule that if they watched something, they had to write a summary.  They couldn't watch anything new until they had written a summary of the last screen time.  Epic.  They improved their summary writing so much, AND sometimes it even served as a deterrent.  I'll just go play because I don't want to write.  Perfect!
I should have scanned more of them in, because they were all so fun.  Especially when they got creative and wrote packing lists for Moana, or a list of reasons why a character accomplished their goals, etc.
Here are a couple of gems.  I wish I would have been more diligent in scanning them all in.


I want to keep this up for the school year...we shall see.  There is usually a lot less screen time because we just don't have time! 

No comments: