Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Thursday, February 24, 2022

State--Mat Classic XXXIII

We were so excited for state this year. SW broke all kinds of school records.  Most total to state (7).  Most girls to state (3 and one alternate).  First freshman girl at state (LIBBY :).  And it was a good weekend.  But not the weekend we hoped for.   

Things didn't go smoothly for Libby at state.  Or for her mommy.  Main problems: Libby didn't start getting ready right away after weigh-ins.  And when she did, she realized she only had one wrestling shoe.  I came up to start trying to trouble shoot and also realized her hair wasn't done.  Grammy was able to go to the hotel and get the shoe from the middle of her hotel room floor.  I had to sprint down the hill from the dome to grab the shoe from their car because traffic was at a stand still.  Then I attempted to sprint back up.  I made it farther than my old self thought I might.  I ran walked the rest.  Anyway, I got in and delivered the shoe while she warmed up.  (Luckily I had a coach pass.) Then I went to help grandpa into the dome.  Meanwhile, apparently Libby thought there was still time to get her hair braided.  So she was sobbing in the stands with one side braided and one not as they were calling her down to the mat.  It was a disaster.  She made it down and wrestled horribly.  Pinned in seconds.  Not a great start.  She recovered after a bit (better than I did--as I am still feeling lots of mom guilt...I should have made sure she was ready earlier.).   And she wrestled really well in her 2nd match--against the region champ and lost in the 3rd period--she had even been ahead in the match. 

Everyone else won at least a match and Hunter took 2nd. We managed to have fun in the stands for the most part.  Saturday got REALLY long.  (As usual.). But I'm so glad Libby made it.  We had a great time at the team dinners and getting to know the team better.  SW has a terrific group of kids as wrestlers.  

Two future SW wrestlers?? (Currently on the Einstein team)

Superfans! 

It was so cool that Brion and Geneva made the trek--and saved the shoe day! 

Great group of wrestlers! 

Do they hang out at State differently than they did in 2015? 

Not really.  Screens screens screens and a bit of wrestling.

Very proud daddy! 

By the end of Saturday night--we still had this huge crew!  So proud of SW! 

No comments: