Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 20, 2022

Sarah's First Matches & A Devastating Drill Comp

This year I noticed that all of the Einstein Wrestling home matches fall on a Tuesday, when my students have instrumental and I can sneak out of school early.  So I nominated myself to run the clock/scoreboard.  It's really fun.  And a little stressful.  Hence my terrible photography of Sarah.  But she won her first match (a JV match) against a girl who was definitely a bit heavier than Sarah.  I am so happy that she is liking wrestling.  Just like with Libby it's building confidence, athleticism and a fun bond with their dad. 
On Thursday I couldn't make it to the match because of Parent Teacher Conferences.  She lost, but still had fun.  
Saturday was the district Drill tournament.  (Note--would you take a selfie in a mirror that dirty?) Anyway, the girls met at SW @ 5:30 am.  I helped bring breakfast and drive, since it's the only drill comp of the year I'll be able to attend.  It was AMAZING watching all that dancing.  There is some tension and stress in the air, but nothing like at wrestling districts--as it turns out all teams (basically) make it to state.  
After I drove a car of girls to the HS where the tournament would be--I was just about to settle in to a comfy couple of hours of work at a Starbucks nearby when Libby called to tell me her jazz shoes were still at the HS at home.  So--I drove 1/2 hour back to SW and 1/2 hour back to Kamiak with her shoes.  Ugh.  When will I learn that I need to checklist with this girl? 



Anyway, all went well with their dances.  There were 3 teams in the 2A/3A Pom division. And SW Drill was announced as the winner.  They got the trophy--took pics with it.  Then the table called them back up (this is the moment in the picture) and took the trophy away saying there had been a miscalculation and they actually took 3, not 1st.  Oh baby.  That unleashed some serious weeping and wailing.  As you can imagine.  Libby held it together pretty well--some tough wrestling losses prepared her for this moment!  But wow.  Just wow.  What a sad mistake.  I felt bad for everyone involved.  Not sure where the mistake was made--but it would have hurt so much less to be 3rd from the get go.  But either way, they are on to state....but I'm off to Utah with Sarah, so I won't be with her in Yakima. So she better remember her shoes.  (Don't worry--we will be preparing checklists and double checklists.)



No comments: