Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, June 5, 2022

5th Grade Camp...

 I posted on FB about camp a few times during the week--but I'll sum it up here.  I worked at a camp one summer in college.  This camp felt a lot like that camp (minus the church components of course.) But there were meals and songs in the cafeteria.  There were hikes and skits and campfires!  I didn't have to cook or clean.  I got to be in nature!  I got to teach lessons in nature.  

Okay, so I got the kids lost on a hike--but the reality was that many of them didn't even realize it.  

So we ate under a cell tower instead of at Bear Tree--but they didn't know what they were missing.  Haha.

We got in more miles than anticipated, and my hip did great!  

Then, as we got back to where we were supposed to be going--to the lookout tower, the end of our group stirred up a wasps' nest.  The kids who got stung were so brave!  I was super proud of them!  

It was just awesome to see the kids out doing things that were taking them out of their comfort zones...one thing after another.  

I came home happy and tired.  

And then the COVID cases started rolling in.  I think we are at about 9 or 10 right now.  (We took 92 kids to camp.) I think more are to come (including maybe Ben and I...we are both coughing--but have tested negative.  We did PCR today.)

But overall, the parents who are letting me know about COVID think it was still a great week and totally worth it.

We did require all campers (and adults) to test before we left.  But Covid is a sneaky thing.

Hopefully we didn't also give it to all of the SCC community yesterday at the concert.  Sigh.  

I am so over COVID--but so glad we got to do camp! 

One wasp sting ended up with an ER trip.  But he got antibiotics and came back to camp (Thank goodness we were at a close camp.)  What a crazy reaction! 

So happy I was there with my Ben!

 

No comments: