Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Monday, October 17, 2022

School Pics and School Year Rundowns

 I think of school pics as a chance to capture the kids in their natural element.  (Unlike family photos that are when I choose all the things and are pretty much mom staged.)  So they choose their own outfits.  And hair.  And makeup.  And so....here they are: 

Ben is in 6th grade which is middle school.
What he loves: Getting up early to snuggle Buddy on the couch.  It's the only time of day that Buddy's a snuggler.  Early release Wednesdays when his buddies invade the house for like 8 hours after school.  His math teacher Mr. Renni.  Seriously.  Having a phone (best perk of middle school for him.) READING--he just finished all the Harry Potters and is now starting on the Fablehaven series.  It's quite expensive for me because he likes to alternate between the book and the audio book--and these are books that take forever to get from the library.  Also--he "reads" at 1.5 speed, so he's plowing through. Other favorite things include: going to football with dad, playing switch (Fortnite, Fall Guys), checking on his fantasy football team (a new hobby), and hanging out with Libby's friends.
What he DOESN'T like: playing trumpet.  How terrible of us to get him a trumpet teacher who comes to school and works with him on Wednesdays during class. (best deal ever--since I don't have to drive him anywhere), cross country (which has been a super unorganized mess for the 6th graders--which has meant only a few practices--so he's thankful for that.)  

Sarah is in 8th grade.  
What she loves: Singing in choir (she is in two SCC choirs this year), "that at the end of the day I get to go home" (direct quote.). Hanging out with friends--she's getting closer with her friend group.  Her school picture (she's into Jurassic Park--NOT Jurassic World.) Going to Starbucks with friends before choir on Tuesdays. 
What she doesn't like: Getting up early for zero period.  When I yell to wake up Libby for seminary and it wakes up Sarah.  (This is when Libby is getting a second or third wake up of the morning.)  

Libby is a 10th grader.  Oh My Goodness.  
What she is loving: DRIVING! She's getting pretty good.  I don't have white knuckles all the time.  Just occasionally.  She finished the coursework for her class (including passing the written test) and now has 2 more drives to go. Spending time with friends. Marketing class (kind of--depending on her group) and getting to work in the student store.  SLEEPING IN (and sadly this is rare).  Dancing at football games with the Drill team. Thrifting with Sarah or other friends.  (Particularly purses.  She has SO many purses.). Also she love Buddy. 
What she is not loving: School work, cleaning her room. Getting up for seminary (although she doesn't mind it once she's there.) Her mom--sometimes.  Ugh, I'm the WORST! 

Okay, seriously this picture.  Ugh.  And then they whitened my teeth so I look like a weirdo.  I had a different shirt underneath for pictures--but forgot to take off my hoodie.  They rushed us and had us go before lunch instead of after like we planned--by then I would have been warmer and anyway--yeah.  This year is pretty fun though.  I am really excited about teaching this group because they are really excited to learn. We have 2 (okay 3) big projects I want them to finish before conferences.  And there isn't enough time in the school day!  I really do love teaching.  I mean I love it.  And this year I get to hone my projects and lessons since I'm teaching the same thing again for the 2nd time in a row (sort of 3rd, since the first year was online).  So I feel like I'm LESS buried.  YW is running fairly smoothly.  So I guess I feel like I'm making it.  And, I started integrating some Yin Yoga into my PT and I am cautiously optimistic that it's helping my hips level out!  Good news! 

No comments: