Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ode to Naps

I have been one lucky mommy. For at least a year Libby and Sarah both slept from 8 pm to 8 am. Then they both took naps from noon to 2. Alas, my luck has run out. Libby's sleep needs have changed drastically over the last few months. I have been forced to face the reality. My two hour lunch break without children is over. If Libby takes a nap (which she still will some days) then she stays up until 10 or 11 or later. Then of course, she needs a nap the next day and the cycle keeps on going. So, I am resolved. No naps for Libby. Then she drops into bed at 7:30 or 8. I have decided that getting to bed at a reasonable hour is much better than having her nap. A couple of days this week she begged for a nap between 4 and 5 in the afternoon. But I used a movie to hold her off and she went to bed by 8. Whew! Thank goodness Sarah is still napping (knock on wood).

2 comments:

The Thackers said...

Oh my! I feel your pain! We went through the same thing with Sam...if he takes a nap he's up until who knows when. So, no more naps for him! I would much rather him drop off to sleep at the regular hour than have to deal with a wide awake child in the evening. Good luck!

Taylor said...

So jealous of your kids nap schedule (in the past). I can rarely get both kids to sleep at the same time. I feel like Mad (for like the past 4 months) has been in the awkward nap/no nap transition phase. If she naps, she's up till 9 or 10 but if she doesn't she is a BEAST from 4-8. sometimes it's hard to decide which is more annoying.