Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Big Girls have Barbies

Then: Now:



Saturday was Libby's actual birthday. We have been talking about how 3 year old big girls don't have binkies. This was motived by the fact that her binkies have been causing "binkie funk" to grow on her cheek, that she has been wanting them more and more often, and our dentist and doctor have been urging me to make the break for awhile. My mother-in-law also told me of the miraculous Maren who was totally convinced that 3 year olds should not have binkies and gave hers up with no trouble.



So on Friday we went to Toys R Us and Libby picked a Barbie. When we got home we had a talk about how Big Girls have Barbies and Babies have Binkies. She really wanted to play with that Barbie, so I said ok--go get your binkies. She actually helped me hold the scissors and cut the binkies. Then she put them in the garbage can and helped me take out the garbage. No problem...until bed time.



It was, I am not going to lie here, ugly. She begged to give up her Barbie and have her binkies back, she cried, she moaned, she was pretty miserable. I was a rock of parental strength. I hugged her, kissed her and left her to figure out how to go to sleep without a binkie. Then I came back and comforted, told stories, and left her again, and again. Finally about 12:30 am I fell asleep. Eventually she did too. I am proud for her. It was the first time outside of a car that she has fallen alseep without a binkie (and I could count those times in a car on one hand). Last night was better. I hope tonight will be even better. (She is still asking for them occasionally.) I think naps are done for sure now though. Tough stuff!



4 comments:

Taylor said...

Good for you! It's tough but she won't even care about them in a few days.

Jennifer Harris said...

That sounds traumatic! More stuff to look forward to I guess!

Lisa Merkley said...

{{MOAN}} I had no problem weaning Tyler from the binky, but Sarah will be another problem! I'm refusing to purchase any more, so when she chews holes through all of the ones she's got, that's it. It's gonna be a fight, too.

Way to stay strong with Libby!!

The Thackers said...

Wow...you are amazing to stick that one out. It must have been tough. I'm sure things will get easier for Libby (and for you). :-)