Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

LIbby's No Good Very Bad Day

Yesterday Libby had the roughest day of the recent past. At least as far back as I can remember (and I am pregnant, so that might not be all that long). I was on a "get things done" kick. She was on a destroy and disobey kick. Those two things don't go very well together. As I was outside doing some gardening I kept feeling like I needed to go check on them and put on a movie. I ignored the impression...but then I heard the devilish laughter. Libby came out of the house with the kitchen scissors and a large chunk of Sarah's hair in her hand. I rushed inside only to find many more chunks of Sarah hair strewn about the living room. I can be thankful that it was hair from the back...I took Sarah for a haircut and the result isn't that bad.





But Libby's troubles didn't end there. She also yanked the curtain rod out of the wall by hanging on the curtains (something she has been excessively warned about). She pulled her arms out of the carseat straps everywhere we went.
She found a piece of burnt wood in the outdoor fireplace (or somewhere outside) and ate some of it--getting it all over herself and her dress in the process.
She threw a tantrum that I wouldn't let her wear a dress (even though I didn't say she couldn't wear a dress) while I was having my tutoring session in the afternoon.
She threw a tantrum that I wouldn't let her eat Cheetos for dinner instead of nachos. (I am letting her eat Cheetos for breakfast as I type though...they do have a lot more calories than Rice Krispies...Hmmm...)
Really, anything she could do to be disobedient, she did. I was frustrated. But I am trying to remember that she is just learning and probably just wanted attention.
I just read a talk by Elder Robbins from the last conference yesterday morning. He said..."You might consider the more challenging child a blessing and opportunity to become more godlike yourself...Could it be possible that you need this child as much as this child needs you?"
I have a lot to learn as a parent.

5 comments:

Emily said...

I am sporting many a pixie cut in old family pictures from giving myself a haircut right before we took them. My sisters helped out once or twice too, so I had to laugh when I read your story. Sarah looks darling with her new haircut though!

Charlotte said...

My sister Nicole gave Suzie a pixie cut at 4. Suzie wanted to know if she was still a girl and Nicole was proud that when we took Suz in to Sears for damage control they said that Nicole had done a really good job. Flash forward 20+ years and Nicole's running a cosmetology school and Suzie gets free cuts and color for life. Nicole claims that Suzie is the most demanding customer she's ever had.

triciarnorton said...

You guys give me hope :)

Janetta said...

S looks adorable!

Charlotte, I totally worked with Nicole at the hair school a few years ago. She's great! No wonder she started so young :)

Jennifer Harris said...

Oh Trisha, that's not a day that someone who's 39 weeks pregnant needs! I'm sorry. You're so optimistic though and you're girls are absolutely adorable.