Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Welcome Baby Benjamin

Derek Benjamin Norton--aka "Benny," or "Ben, Ben" joined our family on June 10th, 2011. I decided to have my doctor induce me a few days early because my mom arrived on the 8th and Derek had the 10th and 11th off. I hadn't ever been induced before. Both of the girls decided to come a day before their induction dates. I thought that maybe if we scheduled an induction for Ben, he would do the same thing. Not so. We started the process at about 8:30 in the morning. I didn't really have strong contractions start until about 7:30 in the evening (thank you pitocin). I got an epidural (a weakish one) that I kept having them add medicine too as things got stronger. The anesthesiologist got sick of me calling her back though, so just before delivery she gave me a huge dose. My legs were numb until about 3:00 the next day.
Ben arrived weighing 7 lbs. 8 oz. (same as I did...). He was 20 inches long. He loves to eat--which is delightful after the experience with Libby...http://http//libbynorton.blogspot.com/2007/09/libby-learns-to-eat.html but I am a little tired of feedings every hour and a half or so. He is adorable though, and his sisters love him.
When I took this picture of Sarah and Ben she kept repeating, "Don't cry Ben, don't cry Ben!" (He wasn't even aware of the world enough to cry yet, but it was cute to hear her comfort him.)
Libby has been a good helper so far! She is excited that Ben eats from my "nibbles."

First car seat ride!

4 comments:

the VA Hills said...

Hi! I'm your cousin, Mariah. I love Baby Ben and I know I like babies. I was born like Baby Ben got born but now I'm a little girl so now my Mommy can eat stuff because she doesn't have a baby in her tummy.

I know I like you and I know I like the battlefield I went to with my Grandma and Grandpa. 'Member I came to visit you last Monday, and I love you and I like you very much. I miss you guys because you guys are living in Seattle and we saw you guys and had a lot of things we had to do when we visited my Grandma and Grandpa. I love you guys so much!

from Mariah Begeva Hills
[transcribed by mommy]

Taylor said...

congrats! he is adorable (btw, I totally love Sarah's hair cut).

Laney said...

Congrats, Trish!!! What a beautiful family you have! I hope you are recovering well and that I get to meet baby Ben soon! P.S. I loved the nibbles comment! :)

Janetta said...

He is beautiful! We were sitting by your family yesterday at church and Libby told me about her sweet little brother at home. I'm so happy for all of you!!