Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Ben's Glasses!

It was a bit of a journey to help Ben get glasses.  The first doc I took him to saw the lazy eye right away and told me he would for sure need glasses.  But, she wanted me to take him to a clinic that specialized in Vision Therapy.  I was put off by the concept of vision therapy, and went with a regular optometrist that specialized in kids.  He didn't see the lazy eye.  Told me I was probably just seeing things, essentially.  But I kept seeing his left eye turn.  More and more often.  So I took him to the vision therapy place.  And, they told me I wasn't crazy!  I was seeing his eye turn.  They could do the right things to get him to try to focus and whoop, there would go the eye turn.  So, finally, about 6 months after I knew he needed glasses, he finally got them.
I was really shocked (but probably shouldn't have been) at the variety of girls glasses that are out there compared to boys glasses.  I knew I wanted the all plastic type, with the strap.  Thanks to facebook, and my friend Melissa, I figured out what brand I was looking for for him and tracked them down.  Can I just say that glasses are a racket though!  I can't wait until he can wear what Costco carries.  So much cheaper!
He loves them.  Thinks he looks handsome.  I got a scratch warranty included--but this guy is so careful with them so far, I might never need it--HA, not.
One other interesting thing that came with his visit to the Vision Therapy clinic (and I told them I didn't want to do any actual Vision Therapy visits, ain't nobody got time for that!) is a list of accommodations that he should have at school because of his issue.  I am going to make an appointment and take Libby in.  I am guessing she may need some accommodations too.  That will probably make a big difference in her school experience!
Libby was jumping for joy that she wouldn't be the only person in the family with glasses.

No comments: