Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 29, 2015

What ARE They Learning?

I often wonder what my kids are actually learning.  What are they learning from me?  From school? From church?  Because what I think they are being taught is not always what I hear them explaining...
Today for Sunday Seminar this is what they showed us.  I'm so thankful for my kids.  They keep me laughing.  
Do not mistake this for an alligator.  Derek made that mistake and got severely chastened by little Benny.  This is a crocodile.  Derek kept asking him what he learned about, why he had a picture of a crocodile (alligator).  Ben got so frustrated.  Why couldn't we understand that this was a crocodile and that was that?  No other learning was going on there in his mind.  (By the way, his teacher drew this...his drawing still looks like scribble city.)
Another fun Ben fact from this week is that I took him back to the eye doctor and it looks like with the glasses he is seeing SO MUCH better!  No eye crossing and he has better 3D vision!  Hooray!

I was really proud of Libby this week.  She finally proved she could read well enough to graduate from the special Title I reading program at school.  This was a part of the assessment that allowed her to go back to doing reading with the rest of her class.  I love the way she spelled desperate.  Overall, this is probably the best sample of her writing I have ever seen.  She has turned a corner lately!  

Sarah read us a book for Sunday Seminar.  Then, when she finished she said, "You can applaud if you would like to."  Of course we wanted to, after that!  This piece of her writing came home a couple of weeks ago, after a family movie night where I actually joined in (doing a project on the floor during the movie of course).  But, clearly she noticed (I'll translate a bit here)..." I was happy when my mom and dad watched Despicable Me 2 with me!"

I spent a few minutes listening to Sarah play yesterday and her imagination really is "the best!"  And I feel like you can see how in just a couple of weeks her writing has really improved!

No comments: