Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, April 5, 2015

April Fools!

My husband's mother is the kindest, sweetest, most generous woman ever.  So, you would never suspect that her sassy streak really comes out on April Fools day.  She did everything from wake her kids up super early, put garbage filled chip bags in their lunches, feed them cookies with cotton balls inside, etc.  Honestly, she rocked April Fools!  For the past couple of months I have been trying to decide if I could create some April Fool Foolery around here.  I thought about all the fun/ny tricks I could pull on my kids, Geneva-esque.  But I just couldn't bring myself to do any of them.  I did have in the back of my mind however, an April Fools dinner where my sister Emily helped me set up.  I was probably in high school or early college.  She is 13 years younger than I am, so she was just old enough to help.  We set wacky utensils and made pretend punch.  I decided to go that route.
I set the table with a painting drop cloth, used dishtowels for napkins and wrapped up funny serving utensils for our eating.  The kids were delighted!  Even Derek was happy even though his "plate" was an ice cube tray.  I wasn't sure if we would actually be able to eat with the items I chose, but we did.  We ate the mix of all the types of noodles I had in the pantry with (for the kids) blue butter and (for the grown ups) spaghetti sauce.  Luckily asparagus is a pretty good finger food.
I think this might be a new Norton Family tradition.





No comments: