Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Friday, April 24, 2015

I LOVE Logan UT

I did the 2nd half of my BA at Utah State University in the small town of Logan Utah.  And I loved it.  I already had a love for my grandparents' house and the Logan Roller Rink.  But when I moved there, my heart expanded to include so much more! There were hard times, sure.  Break ups (several), roommate challenges (several), and busy busy weeks.  But during my time in Logan, I became the Tricia Randall that was ready to become Tricia Norton less than a year after I moved to Seattle.
Here are some of the reasons Logan is special to me:
-I got my first paid job teaching fitness
-I got to give grades to students for the first time (I taught PE classes for the University)
-I took classes that I loved from professors that I loved
-I actually did really well in my classes
-I made some best friends that I cherish...Shari, Tony, Mikicko, Sarah, Jenny...
-I watched a lot of baseball (in SLC thanks to Tony)
-I got to watch lots of football from the front row, 50 yard line without having to camp out before games (thanks to Tony again)
-I got to live with amazing cousins, Jeralynn and Nancy
-I got my official aerobics teaching certification after many early study sessions
-I decided to trust the Lord and go on a mission
-I got a job at Logan Parks and Rec--teaching fitness, working the desk, and monitoring the weight room
-I took education classes that made me so excited to be a teacher
-I did my student teaching and knew, FOR SURE, that being a teacher was what I wanted more than anything
-I was brave enough to leave and go to Seattle, even though I wanted to stay
-I hiked, biked, and swam (splashed around in the Oakridge pool)
-I learned about the value of visiting teaching
-I gained a testimony of the Atonement
-I won paper prizes
-I travelled to present papers at several conferences
-I realized just how much I loved learning
-I fell in love with the history of the Czech and Slovak people, especially Masaryk
-I learned to cook big Sunday dinners, cinnamon rolls, and fondue
-And even though I decided not to stay there during the semesters after my mission, I consider it sacred the time that I got to live in my grandparents' house.
-Oh yeah, and even though it was inconvenient, I stood my ground and I got married there...
These are just a few of the reasons I love Logan.  It is beautiful inside and out to me.  Even with the increased traffic.
SO, I am unashamedly trying to plant seeds (that will grow into giant tall trees) to get my kids to go there.  They may not feel right about it when the time comes, but it won't be because they haven't been there and felt a bit of the magic.

Here are my favorite pictures from this year's Logan tour.
Outside the temple where Derek and I got married (sealed) in 2003.  

My grandparents' house.  I just walked in this time and tears came to my eyes.  It still has the same smell, the same calming effect that it always has.  I love this house!

Gossner Cheese factory...Yummy ice cream.


Sarah and Libby with their Great Grandma Louise

A pic with Sarah Louise, Tricia Louise, and the original Louise.  And Libby and Ben wanted in too.

Training them young to be ready to meet the challenge!

Not sure if I want them to become TRUE Aggies right away....but they like standing on the A.

The Old Main tower.  It glows white on most nights, but if there has been a victory of some kind for the school, they light it up blue.  Once when two of us from the history department won paper prizes, it was all lit up for us!

No comments: